My India Blue Male, Left flight feathers are drooping?

Discussion in 'Peafowl' started by Joe.G, Mar 24, 2013.

1. Joe.G

Joe.G Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 16, 2011
    Eastern NY
    Hi, My IB left Flight feather part of the wing is drooping and dragging on the ground, I trimmed them a touch because he kept stepping on them and what not, If I pick him up he can flap his wings. It just seems as though he can't or just isn't tucking them up like he should. The right side seems fine. Any Ideas or tips?

2. new 2 pfowl

new 2 pfowl Overrun With Chickens

Jan 13, 2012
    California
    Your gang is still getting used to their new (beautiful) home, right?
    Maybe he had some trouble navigating and banged into something?
    He can flap, but have you seen him fly? (not sure how much flying room they have)

3. Joe.G

Nov 16, 2011
    Eastern NY
    He isn't roosting, but neither is my BS Male either, I think the whole roosting thing is still new to them, this is there first chance at a real roost, the two of them just cuddle on the floor. They can fly a bit in there, the others do.

4. peacock 05

peacock 05 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 24, 2013
    Stevens point wisconsin
    I know he's probably older than 1 day unlike mine but my bird decided to fly when he was one day old and he hit the ground then dislocated his wing. Did yours that you know of hurt himself in any way??????? :/

5. Joe.G

Nov 16, 2011
    Eastern NY
    Not that I know of, I am hoping it is just sore, He is able to move his wing, but the flight feathers kind of just hang.

6. peacock 05

Jan 24, 2013
    Stevens point wisconsin
    Ya know that you probably don't even have to worry. Just keep watching him! ;)

7. Joe.G

Nov 16, 2011
    Eastern NY
    Wonder if I should trim the flight feather more or just leave them, this poor bird has had a rough start.

8. peacock 05

Jan 24, 2013
    Stevens point wisconsin
    Just leave him. Watch him and let us know what he's doing eatng ok drinking ok or is it just the wing????? :)

9. pedda munnangi

pedda munnangi Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 19, 2012
    Peafowl usually have excellent immunity.-- can recover from very severe physical injuries, bleeding wounds etc... very easily-. also do not develop any infections from those bleeding wounds when and if ever they go through. Sinus inflammation and respiratory illnesses (occurance is common among pea fowl) , like sneezing, nasal discharge, gasping frequently for air. etc.. only need to be treated with antibiotic medicines like Tylan or Baytryl. and are curable easily and completely. This type of infections do not seem to be cotagious to wipe out the entire flock

10. Joe.G

Nov 16, 2011
    Eastern NY
    He seems to be fine, he is eatting and drinking well, He is the most humane trusting of all of my peafowl, Poor guy was picked on as a young bird and he has bald spots on the top of his head which I don't think will ever grow back.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by