My Indian Blue Runner Ducks need more weight

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Aclayre, Jan 22, 2019.

1. Aclayre

Aclayre In the Brooder

Jan 22, 2019
    I have 7 runner ducks. 3 are drakes. There is no fighting and they seem very happy.

2 of the girls are light and need more weight quickly, What can I give them to lay down fat on them.
    I am worried they will feel the cold.

They have a warm purpose built duck house turned away from the elements with a pop hole. I have a 4 inch layer of sawdust inside.
    Would they benefit from hay inside as well?

I would appreciate any help offered. It is important to me that my ducks are happy

Thank you

2. BuffOrps32

BuffOrps32 Free Ranging

Nov 26, 2018
    Elementclan
    What do you feed, including treats?

casportpony and WannaBeHillBilly like this.
  3. WannaBeHillBilly

WannaBeHillBilly Crossing the Road

Sep 2, 2018
    Big Chimney, WV
    My Coop
    Cracked corn and meatbird crumbles plus protein treats like mealworms and eggs.

bluemerle likes this.
  4. Aclayre

Aclayre In the Brooder

Jan 22, 2019
    Pellets they are best chicken pellets. They have some wholemeal bread, Salad, I cook potato peelings and other root veg and serve warm in the cold as a treat. I am so worried I gave them veggie suet. I have just been out and bought hay and stuffed their house down each side with sweet hay to keep them warm.

I leave the pop hole open as they are inside a big pen with a box profile roof. It is 7ft high so I can get in and see them. I picked up the girls as they looked straggly and they were light. They stopped laying about 4 weeks ago. The eggs were perfect.

Thanks for asking, please tell me if I am doing something wrong. (I never give onion in the salad, we keep it in a separate bowl so the salad is not contaminate)

casportpony likes this.
  5. Aclayre

Aclayre In the Brooder

Jan 22, 2019
    Sorry to be ignorant can you explain what meat bird crumbles are? I am new to this site today Many thanks

casportpony likes this.
  6. WannaBeHillBilly

WannaBeHillBilly Crossing the Road

Sep 2, 2018
    Big Chimney, WV
    My Coop
    Of course! Meatbird crumbles is a commercial poultry food mix, used to feed to birds for meat production. The other widely used food mix is Layer crumbles for egg laying birds. If you have drakes, you should not feed the layer crumbles as too much Calcium may cause problems with their kidneys. Both types of food are available in farm stores, just bought two 50lbs bags here yesterday for $14 each which will feed my five ducks for 2-3 months.

Cayuga momma and casportpony like this.
  7. Aclayre

Aclayre In the Brooder

Jan 22, 2019
    Thank you so much for the info

8. thumper650

thumper650 Songster

Mar 10, 2018
    Maynard, MA
    My runners are skinny little things. Mine like hay and pine shavings in their house.

9. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Loving this country life

Mine are too it’s just they way they are. I couldn’t imagine a fat Runner. :eek: Mine have a great appetite they have a high metabolism

10. Aclayre

Aclayre In the Brooder

Jan 22, 2019
    I am probably over worrying. They seem content and are a happy group. Just 2 of the girls seem very light. I didn't want to miss a problem. The boys are heavy and 2 of the girls are. Thanks for the reassurance

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: