My indoor/outdoor kitty showed up this morning with an injury :-(

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by Andora, Feb 9, 2009.

1. Andora

Andora Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2008
    Lexington, Kentucky
    I have four cats, one of them was adopted a couple years ago at 2 years old after being picking up as a stray. We intended for her to be an indoor cat, but after a few months at our house she insisted that she belonged outside and there was really no stopping her. I always put her back inside at night, since night time seems to be when cats get into fights. She knows to come to the front porch at sunset to come inside and get some canned cat food then snuggle with us in bed. Every time she doesn't come back at night I worry. Once she had gotten hit by a car, another night she was locked in the garage of the old man who lives behind us and goes out of town for weeks at a time to live on his farm land a few hours away. She didn't come home last night and I worried all night long.

This morning she showed up and she has what feels like a cone of dried blood in her fur--just to the side of her neck, kind of above where her front leg and body meet. The skin feels all crunchy underneath, like something is sliding back and forth under it when you press. There were also some fur chunks hanging loose from the area, but not enough to make a bald spot. She growls when I touch it, and her eyes are really dilated even though it's bright in here. I'm so worried for her! She can walk and jump, though slowly, so I don't think anything is broken or seriously injured. It seems like maybe she was bitten by a dog or a bigger cat (she's small) or I guess someone could have shot at her with a BB gun. We live in a subdivision but this is KY so it's entirely possible.

Is there anything I can do to make her relax and feel a little better? I fed her some chicken (lol not one of my pets!) and she very slowly ate it. She's been laying on a blanket on the couch all morning with only one eye open. The eye on the injured side of her body was fine looking when I pried it open, but for some reason she won't look through it, maybe because that side is sore. I wish I could afford to take her to the vet, but I can't right now unless it's a life or death emergency, which this isn't. She's just really sore. [​IMG]

2. sewincircle

sewincircle Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2008
    Central New York
    It sounds like it could be neurological with the eye on the side of injury. The pupil dialation...I would call a vet and see if they would take payments. Some will. I have a local vet here who charges very little when there is hardship. Its worth a try. I would be leary about giving asprin if there is dialated pupils. Could be head injury. Best of luck!!!

3. Andora

Aug 26, 2008
    Lexington, Kentucky
    I think they're just dilated because of stress--all my cats do that when they are freaked out or upset, or when they are in playful attack mode.

4. cristy17

cristy17 Chillin' With My Peeps

Clean off the dried blood with warm water. Snip off the loose fur and the fur around the area. If you see a small scab, feel around the area; does it feel squishy? It may be infected and abcessed. If this is the case, try to puncture the scab. Hopefully the pus will drain out. Try to keep it clean, once again warm water. Other then that, I can't help you. I hope this helps. Good luck kitty:)

5. PitterPaws

PitterPaws Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 29, 2007
    Wisconsin
    I also think you should bring her to a vet, Sounds like it could be a gun shot wound and that needs to be taken care of.
    If you can't afford it tell them so when you are there. maybe they can work something out with you, or have you thought about leaving her at the vet's office they can fix her up and adopt her out to another loving family. What ever you decide I think she needs to see a vet as her injuries could be very serious.
    *****Just wanted to let you know Never ever give asprin to a cat it could kill her! It is safe for Dogs, but not Cats.*******
    Good Luck with your kitty, hope she recovers quickly!

Last edited: Feb 9, 2009
  6. Farmer Kitty

Farmer Kitty Flock Mistress

Sep 18, 2007
    Wisconsin
    Quote:If you have a bottle of penicillan on hand you can give her a shot once a day. It's 1 cc/ml for the average sized adult cat-adjust as needed.

Good luck with her.

7. Andora

Aug 26, 2008
    Lexington, Kentucky
    I held her down and looked closer this afternoon, and it looks like a puncture wound the size of a canine tooth. She's all off balance and hiding a lot, but she can still walk. There is a pocket of fluid swelling larger and larger, and the way the skin is crunchy is eerie. It feels like a mattress wrapped in plastic with a blanket on top. Since she's not better at all and it's continuing to swell I am going to call the vet first thing in the morning. I am so worried for her!

She's sitting on my daughter's bed right now eating some canned cat food. I caught her coming out of the litter box once today, and I tried to see if anything was bloody, but since we have clumping litter and she buries hers well it was really hard to tell. There wasn't any obvious blood at least.

I'm pretty certain a dog grabbed her because she loves playing with our two big dogs, she lets them mouth her and rolls around with them out in the yard. They know not to hurt her since they've always lived together, but another dog wouldn't care I'm sure.

8. KellyHM

KellyHM Overrun With Chickens

Sep 10, 2008
    Lakeland, FL
    You need to get her on some antibiotics ASAP since it's most likely a bite wound...they can grow some nasty bacteria! You can give her 5 mg/lb of aspirin, so 1/2 of an 81mg baby aspirin if she weighs 8 lbs. Only give it every 48 hours. (It's Acetaminophen & Ibuprofen that you can't give them.)

9. Catalina

Catalina Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2007
    Minnesota
    I would take her to the vet.
    My (fixed) tom cat Sylvester got into fights all the time. We usually let him lick his wounds and recover, but once he had a bite near the back of his tail.
    It swelled up. He started to look for a dark place to curl up in and hide.
    I took him to the vet and it was a raging infection. He ended up getting stitches and antibiotics.
    Cats have a very high pain tolerance and they don't usually show obvious signs that they are sick or in pain. If she starts to hide from you take her to the vet ASAP.
    Hope your kitty feels better! [​IMG]

10. Andora

Aug 26, 2008
    Lexington, Kentucky
    I pulled the fur back as best I could and put polysporin all over it. Too bad I can't just inject her with Tylan! I have some Tylan 50 and syringes. I'm kind of afraid to dose her with aspirin...I don't have any on hand. I am going to call the vet as soon as they open in the morning! I know they will see her right away if I say it's an emergency, I love our vet. I'm getting ready to put some water with GSE in her mouth with a syringe. Grapefruit seed extract is pet safe (and chicken safe!) and it's a powerful antibiotic, so at least she can get that in her system to hold her over until the morning.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by