My Introduction To BackYardChickens

Lydia Avery

In the Brooder
Dec 14, 2017
(1) Are you new to chickens / when did you first get chickens?
I got my first flock of chickens as mature pullets and raised them to adulthood. I was six at the time and completely fell in love. My mom and I would feed and water them and gather the eggs. We got a ton of books from the library and I learned about the inner workings of a chicken and how to properly raise them. After 2 years, my parents decided to sell them (due to the arrival of my baby sister). By the time I was 9 (2 years later), my parents decided I could get a few chickens. We had 10 but two were roosters and another two were meat chickens (and were the size of fully grown roosters by the time they were 6 months. They could barely walk and were immensely overweight :( ) so my dad had to kill all four of them. I cried A LOT after that. We were down to six hens, and after 3 years of owning them, my family was having financial problems and had to sell my chickens (again). Two years ago during the spring, I bought my own chicks (14 of them) and raised them. Three were roosters and last year, one of them was eaten by a fox(?). My mom decided we couldn't support all ten of them over the summer so we sold three.
(2) How many chickens do you have right now?
I have seven hens.
(3) What breeds do you have?
Rhode Island Red (2), Ameraucana (1), Buff Orpinton (1), Easter Egger (1),
(4) How did you find out about BackYardChickens.com?
I was searching for a reliable, correct source for at-home chicken remedies.
(5) What are some of your other hobbies?
Making/listening to music, drawing, painting, raising chickens, hanging-out with friends, going to school, taking long showers, and being a teenager.
(6) Tell us about your family, your other pets, your occupation, or anything else you'd like to share.
I have two older siblings and two younger ones, I am an artist, I go to an art school where my sisters teach, I'm allergic to animals other than birds, I like to eat food, I LOVE chickens, music, art, and everything in between.

*Edited by staff*

Hi Lydia and welcome to BYC - great that you have joined us. Thanks for introduction.

Including your general location, under your avatar will help other members to give the best advice possible for any future input / questions that you may have.

Best wishes

Pork Pie

Greetings and welcome to BYC. I have already posted to your other thread and I'm so sorry about your situation there. I AM happy to have you among us as we are obviously a bunch of chicken lovers. :love Some as companions/pets, some for their eggs, provided for meals and cooking, others for their delicious flesh when consumed. many for all of the above. Whatever your reason, there's a wealth of info and great folks here to help when called on. Please browse around and make yourself at home.

Please consider putting at least your general location in your profile as location/weather/climate can have a huge impact on recommendations if you need help. Also, if you're willing, please feel free to post pictures of your hens. we're all a bunch of closet pic addicts here. :oops:

Back
Top Bottom