My Introduction.

Pheasant Run Farm

In the Brooder
Nov 23, 2021
Hello! Me and my family run Pheasant Run Farm, where we at first only horses but have expanded to chickens and ducks. My mother and brother handles the horses while I handle the birds. Ever since I got my first chickens in May of 2020 for my birthday I have been fascinated with them and spend many hours a day just watching and feeding them. As a person who suffers from heavy anxiety and autism I have found peace with my birds, they make me feel loved and that I'm making a difference. We have 34 chickens at the moment and 14 ducks. The first chickens I received were two Black Sexlings, two Rhode Island Reds, five Brahmas, three Sebrights, one Cochin, and five bantam Ameracaunas and Easter Eggers. Since then we gave three out of the five bantam Ameracaunas and Easter Eggers away since they were roosters, leaving us with one of each, while both our silver Sebrights died only a few months ago, leaving only our golden Sebright. We've only lost one Brahma so far, and all these besides the roosters only happened a few months ago. Since then in March of this year we ordered our first exotic breed-Malays! One rooster and two females, and officially introducing me to the exotic and rarer chicken breeds. They are so fun to watch and my Malay rooster, named Kong, is the sweetest thing on the planet, always staying by my side and running towards me when he sees me. All of our chickens do this but especially Kong! We also, admittedly, went a bit overboard this year since my parents always expect to lose more then we usually do-Three silver and two golden Wyandottes, two New Hampshires, two Delawares, two Austra Whites, two salmon Faverolles, five Silkies, four Polish, two Sussexs, and two brown Leghorns. We were hoping for all of them (besides at least one of the Faverolles) being hens, but we got very unlucky-All four Polish and two Silkies were roosters, We gave the Polish and one of the Silkie roosters away and now we only have three roosters, Kong the Malay, Scruff the Silkie, and Josh the Faverolles (he's named after my brother because they share beards.) We lost a Silkie and a Sussex early on and only a few weeks ago lost another Silkie to a bald eagle, yet all the others are doing great, especially one of the silver Wyandottes who jumps on my leg and lets me pet her whenever I want-I named her Holly. Most of them have names but some of them are very hard to tell apart, especially the Brahmas. We started with ducks in May of this year for my birthday, but the first four we got all died in under a week due to being ill. Then over summer we got four, then another three, and finally ending with twelve. We lost our male Saxony very early on as he arrived ill, but our female named Victoria was picked off as well, leaving no more Saxonies. One of our Indian Runners did not make it either. But other then those loses, all the ducks are very happy. We have three Crested, three Welsh Harlequinns, two black Swedish, three Rouens (the drake I named Napoleon), three Indian Runners, and one Cayuga named Lady. I hope to expand in the future with many more birds, especially exotic ones! Emus are on my wishlist. When I am not with my birds I am usually working to get my GED (super close to getting it!), at therapy, drawing, or on the computer. Paleontology and birdwatching are a secondary hobby of mine. I have a wonderful dog named Hank who is my personal companion and always sleeps with me, as well as a bearded dragon named Scelina. My favorite bird is a kiwi and my favorite dinosaur is the Diplodocus. Sorry for rambling on, but iIthink that rounds up everything you need to know. Thanks!

It's wonderful that caring for the birds makes you feel like you are making a difference. I'm retired, so that's how I feel about my birds, too -- they are why I get up in the morning.

Your flock of chickens and ducks sounds lovely, especially Kong, Holly and Lady. I bet Hank is a great companion.

Best wishes on continuing your studies, and welcome to BYC! It's good to meet you.

Back
Top Bottom