My Irritating County Fair

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by ChirpChickens, Jan 28, 2014.

1. ChirpChickens

ChirpChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 31, 2013
    So, we started raising chickens a couple years ago and have never showed any type of animal in our local county fair. so i don't really even know how it works... well, we have been living in amador county for over a year and i really want to enter some birds but its physically imposable! ever since I've moved here I've been looking into it and checking their website and there is absolutely NOTHING! i swear it's just made up of a secret club or something :/ there is no info, no rules, sign up sheets. they don't even mention poultry or rabbits. barely mention pigs and other livestock but come on! this is ridiculous [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 28, 2014
  2. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    Have you picked up a telephone and called someone about it? I’d start with your county extension agent, in the phone book under county government or online.

3. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Amador Co. fair office 209 - 245 - 6921.

4. shannondee12

shannondee12 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2013
    Left Hand, WV
    Our county fair only shows pigs, sheep, goats and cows but my 12 year old decided she wanted to show her ducks and chickens. It was just a matter of contacting the local extension office and getting the ball rolling. We have attended a few meetings and it's looking good for adding poultry to our 2015 fair.

5. abserbean

abserbean Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2013
    Florida
    I would second contacting the extension office or your local 4H, they should have all the info you would need. Good luck!

6. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    My county fair is basically set up for only 4-Hers or FFA to be in the fair, I don't think there are any "outside" entries. Yours may be the same, so they assume everyone gets their info via their group leader.

7. oldrooster

oldrooster One Crazy Nut

donrae, my mother comes from an area where the county and 4-h clubs had seperate fairs, fair grounds and dates. in the area I grew up in it was a combined 4h and county fair all ran thru the extention agent and unless you speciffically asked the right person you would never know that in the livestock areas you had both you would assume it was all 4h, but what would be more of the crafty, cooking and art type of entries are in seperate buildings. So you must ask the extention office to verify if it is the same in your area.

8. Chickerdoodle13

Chickerdoodle13 The truth is out there...

Mar 5, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    Most likely you'll have to join a 4-H club first before you can enter a 4-H show. It differs from state to state and county to county, but some of them also have requirements about how long you need to be a member before entering (Not sure if you are 4-H aged or have children that are) 4-Hers are generally anywhere from very young (I wouldn't start them younger than 5 years old) to a freshmen in college (19 years old).

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by