my is Duck walking on 1 leg

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Versti, Apr 7, 2018.

1. Versti

Versti In the Brooder

Apr 7, 2018
    So i woke up today and like a typical day routine.. i went to feed my duck,
    i saw her sitting there, and usually when i approach with food she comes around me, but today was different.. she kept sitting there, i knew that something was wrong.. i went and tried to get her up, and she started to barely walk on one leg.
    I cant go to the Vet because it's a 2 hours drive, and also my parents arent home.. and i dont have a driving license, what do you suggest i do? i feel really bad, i still don't know the reason of why this happened, but i know it's not a predator because there's no blood or anything, plus she's in a well-protected area.
    what do you suggest i do? to make it less painful or to identify if it's a dangerous injury like a broken leg, or just a small injury .

(It's a Duckling, around 4 weeks old)

2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Loving this country life

First :welcome

Can you examine the leg very gently feeling for breaks? then can you place the duckling in some nice warm water and let it float and see if she can use her leg in the water?anyway you can post a pic or get a video?

Versti likes this.
  3. Versti

Versti In the Brooder

Apr 7, 2018
    I placed her in water just so she can get cleaned (as i always do as a part of the routine) she held it up and just floated and used her other leg, i will examine her now and take a picture (i sadly cant take a video).

Miss Lydia likes this.
  4. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Loving this country life

Good a pic may help. And look around anything in her area she could have fell off of or stepped in a hole or tripped over something? What breed is your duckling?

Versti likes this.
  5. Versti

Versti In the Brooder

Apr 7, 2018
    to answer your question, there's a big brick over there that she couldve got injured because of it, but it's too heavy and im not sure she could lift it and drop it on her leg, but it's the only thing there that couldve caused such a thing, there are some small rocks though, but i also doubt it, they are very small (as you can see in the picture).
    to answer your second question.. we really don't know what breed she is.

On to the pictures.. i couldn't get a picture of her standing because when i lift her up and pick up the phone to take a picture she would go back to sitting.
    but i got some pictures of how she sits and how she swims.

Attached Files:

6. Versti

Versti In the Brooder

Apr 7, 2018
    the picture of how she swims im showing how she lifts her leg and closes her "fingers" together.

7. Versti

Versti In the Brooder

Apr 7, 2018
    if you need any more pictures ill take some.

8. chickens really

chickens really Crazy Call Duck Momma

Sounds like a sprain and she will heal up in about 5 weeks.
    Ducklings are clumsy and if you can?..Level out the ground for it...I'm sure it will recover with time..:frow

Versti likes this.
  9. Versti

Versti In the Brooder

Apr 7, 2018
    Thank you both for your help, it's good to know that she will get better

chickens really likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: