My ISA Brown chicks are still very skittish of me

Sueleewebdesign

Chirping
Apr 23, 2021
I have an established flock of about 10 chickens but recently I purchased 2 ISA browns and 2 assorted bantams from TSC. I've had them about 1 month now and I read somewhere that ISA browns are usually very friendly. However, the 2 that I have don't seem to like me or anyone else. I have kids so I want them to be able to pick them up without so much fuss. All my other chickens seemed to keep the same temperament they were showing at this age (4-6 weeks old). So my question is does anyone have any personal experience raising ISA Browns and what I should expect regarding temperament? Will they grow out of being so skittish? I've attached a photo of them from about a week ago hanging out with the bantams (Just for show). They are the 2 closest to the camera.

Attachments

• isa browns.jpg
    isa browns.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 53
I got mine at 16 weeks old. They were pretty friendly as far as young pullets go. They were my first layers and of the original 6, I have 2 left. They used to let me pick them up, but I have little desire to hold a chicken, so I didn't do it often. They are still pretty tame, and if I need to check them over, I don't need to chase them down, but they don't look for cuddles. They are curious little buggers though and are the first ones to "help" when I'm working in their area.

I have an established flock of about 10 chickens but recently I purchased 2 ISA browns and 2 assorted bantams from TSC. I've had them about 1 month now and I read somewhere that ISA browns are usually very friendly. However, the 2 that I have don't seem to like me or anyone else. I have kids so I want them to be able to pick them up without so much fuss. All my other chickens seemed to keep the same temperament they were showing at this age (4-6 weeks old). So my question is does anyone have any personal experience raising ISA Browns and what I should expect regarding temperament? Will they grow out of being so skittish? I've attached a photo of them from about a week ago hanging out with the bantams (Just for show). They are the 2 closest to the camera.
Yeah Isa browns are not friendly in the way I expected either, they run from me but tolerate my existence. My brahmas let me pick them up though, Idk.. disheartening though

Our chickens are usually like that at first, but when I hang out with them (cuddling, petting, carrying around, etc.) they usually warm up to me. And since I’m much bigger than them, I try to move carefully as not to scare them.😊🐥

I got mine at 16 weeks old. They were pretty friendly as far as young pullets go. They were my first layers and of the original 6, I have 2 left. They used to let me pick them up, but I have little desire to hold a chicken, so I didn't do it often. They are still pretty tame, and if I need to check them over, I don't need to chase them down, but they don't look for cuddles. They are curious little buggers though and are the first ones to "help" when I'm working in their area.
ah ok, thanks. I have been chasing mine down. They're escape artists too. I had to put wire mesh over the top of their brooder since they were only a couple weeks old which I didn't have to do with my previous groups until they were older.

Our chickens are usually like that at first, but when I hang out with them (cuddling, petting, carrying around, etc.) they usually warm up to me. And since I’m much bigger than them, I try to move carefully as not to scare them.😊🐥
Maybe that's the issue, my kids are always running around them and playing. I probably need to put them somewhere that my kids can't startle them so much.

Yeah Isa browns are not friendly in the way I expected either, they run from me but tolerate my existence. My brahmas let me pick them up though, Idk.. disheartening though
Good to know. Not sure why there are articles on the web that states they are super friendly when they really aren't. If they'll tolerate me, I guess I can settle for that. lol

Maybe that's the issue, my kids are always running around them and playing. I probably need to put them somewhere that my kids can't startle them so much.

My kids especially my 3 year is always startling my chickens. But she loves them and all she wants to do is be with them, near them and hold them...I've found that chickens do not like sudden or fast movements as you mentioned being startled. Anything I am fixing or doing in their run I try to do it slowly. I've been guilty of scaring the hec out of them as well.

I bought my 3 hens a bit older. The easter egger is by far the the most skittish, she's runs like the dickens will not even let you get close. My plymouth rock is a sweetie when you get her (however she is quick) she goes limp like a rag doll and I can hold her with one hand. My buff is probably the easiest to get however when holding her I find she's always fighting to get out. None of them are overly friendly like I had hoped which is why we got 2 speckled sussex chicks about 6 weeks ago and been handling them and holding them as much as we can in hopes they will be use to it and more friendly.

Good to know. Not sure why there are articles on the web that states they are super friendly when they really aren't. If they'll tolerate me, I guess I can settle for that. lol
They were more friendly as 16 week old pullets than the chicks I've raised from day one, but like I said, I didn't encourage it. They aren't pets, and since I may turn them into soup when they quit laying, I didn't want to get in the habbit of playing with my food.

I recently bough 6 Hyline Brown pullet that were also about 16 weeks old. They chase me down for attention. At the same time, my home hatched 4 week old chicks freak when I fill their water or change their bedding. Maybe it's just an age thing and the chicks will get better as they get older.

Out of the 10 I have only one really lets me touch it. They will all run up to greet me much to the disdain of the young rooster. All my chooks were hand raised. Doesn't bother me tho as mine aint pets.

Back
Top Bottom