My ISA Brown has turned into Terminator!!!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by shirley9937, May 23, 2010.

1. shirley9937

shirley9937 In the Brooder

Oct 2, 2009
    I had 2 ISA Browns, one unfortunately broke her leg high up and it was an extortionate amount to get it fixed, much as I wanted to (we're taking £100s of pounds!!) So reluctantly I had her put to sleep. Being a kind sole I got my other ISA a friend, a lovely Speckeldy who is about the same size as my original (original being about 1 year old and the newbie about 4 months) I got her from the same place I got my ISA and went about introducing them - as I've read put her in bed along with the other one and they will get used to each other. I should point out here that I don't have enought space to have another enclosure to separate them in.

Well, now my problems have really begun - Chicken 1 will not stop crowing - a horrible, angry almost shout. She does it from 5.15 in the morning (neighbours will love me) and then clucks away very loudly and angrily until about 8am!! The only way to stop her is to squirt a bit of water at her, but as soon as I climb into bed, she's off again. Chicken 2 is placid and watching the farce with a slight grin on her face. Whilst she is suffering a slight amount of pecking, not much though and I squirt chicken 1 when she does it, this isn't really the problem. I know my lady told me to get 2 new chickens to stop the bullying, BUT IT IS THE NOISE!!!!!

Any ideas how long this will go on for? They seem to get on ok during the rest of the day. Does anyone have any ideas on how to stop it - sort of shooting her!! I have loads of treats on hand to stop the shouting - figuring if her mouth is full she won't shout - but she ignores the treats and shouts!!

Please help me!!!!

ps. This has been going on for the past 2 mornings - not long, but long enough!!!

2. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

I had the same thing happen the last time I introduced new pullets. I ended up pulling the noisy one out of the coop and into house quarantine for about a week, to knock her down a peg.

good luck

Imp

3. shirley9937

Oct 2, 2009
    Goodness me, and there I was thinking that all might be well in the morning!!! Will have to go to bed now to be ready for the onslaught!!! My other half is working nights, until Tuesday and then it's down to him!! Hope I can last that long, one of us is going to break and I hope it's not me!!![​IMG]

4. shirley9937

Oct 2, 2009
    By the way, what do you class as house quarantine?? She certainly isn't going to be sitting on the sofa with us sharing a glass of wine and watching Eastenders!!! Seriously, what is it?

Shirls [​IMG]

5. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

Quote:Oh No! She kicked me off the sofa. [​IMG]

Actually, I put her in a dog crate, in the spare room. Let the house cats watch her.

Hopefully they'll work it out.

Imp

6. Kittymomma

Kittymomma Songster

Sep 9, 2009
    Olympia, WA
    For me it's a large dog crate in the bathroom or laundry room if they are sick/injured or the dog crate in the garage for chicken jail if the extra pens are all being used. I'm lucky enough to have a bit of land and a few extra dog runs so that is what I usually use for quarantine, broody hens, and when I need a chicken jail. Sick/injured chooks still come inside though because it's easier to keep the temp. right and give them the extra care they need.

7. shirley9937

Oct 2, 2009
    Ok - I'm beginning to sense that this isn't going to be a short lived thing? How long do you reckon it will take before she gets the message? Although she is only a chook and I've realised that I shouldn't really be trying to reason with one at 5 in the morning!!!

The only think I have is a cat carrier, but that's only big enough for her to sit in and do the inevitable in!! Maybe I should be thinking about hiring a dog cage?

Shirls [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by