my "jersey black giant" is started to look like a cuckoo maran*PICS*

Ducklove334

Off to another pond
11 Years
Nov 4, 2008
Virginia
I swear, I JUST noticed this, looking at the week old cuckoo maran chicks, and looking at the "jersey black giant" chick, we got from ideal....they LOOK identical!!

marans, white spot on the head, black giant, white spot on head.

marans, white barrinf on the wing feathers, giant, white barring on wing feathers, and I just noticed that she has got BARRING on her chest feathers!!!,

she isn't BIG, I always figured jersey black GIANTS would be BIG,

I looked up pics, her face and head look EXACTLY like a cuckoo maran.

Ideal has cuckoo marans, but they're out til june...

here are pics

here you can see some barring on her chest

the barring on her wing

good pic of the chest barring, and her face

*ps* ignore the ugly hick-i-fyed unshaved ugly that is me in these pics, plzkthx

Last edited:

chellebyerly

Songster
10 Years
Feb 21, 2009
Jasper Texas
Did she look like this when she was new?

This is what my jerseys looked like (males) at a day old.

At almost 2 weeks mine now are black. with a white stripe that runs from under the chin (going up under the eyes) down to their tail.

Then their wings are black, with white underneath, and a small spot of white where it connects to the body, kinda on the underside.

??

Last edited:

Ducklove334

Off to another pond
11 Years
Nov 4, 2008
Virginia
not so much white I don't think, I'll have to rustle up some pics, I've got pics of her, it's just a matter of getting my lazy SO to upload them for me, I dunno how

PotterWatch

My Patronus is a Chicken
11 Years
Apr 22, 2008
Virginia
As far as I know, JGs don't have a white spot on their heads at hatch. If there is barring, not just some white feathers, it is not a JG chick.

Ducklove334

Off to another pond
11 Years
Nov 4, 2008
Virginia
pics are *SLOWLY* being uploaded now

she, along with the rest came from ideal as a JG chick, everyone else is what they're supposed to be.

but I do not think shes a JG

TammyTX

Crowing
10 Years
Feb 16, 2009
Texas
I'm thinking that's a Maran. The light ring around the eye looks like my Maran's that are 4 weeks old, that and the yellow beak. I also have JG that are 4 weeks old and they have black beaks.

Edited....the below pic's are at about two weeks.

Jersey:

Maran:

Last edited:

TheNewMrsEvans

Songster
11 Years
Sep 15, 2008
Big Sur, CA

Ok so I think Olive is about the same age as your peep in this pic...I sure don't remember any barring on either if the BJGs we had...I think you have something else!

Ducklove334

Off to another pond
11 Years
Nov 4, 2008
Virginia
how ironic would that be
, we just got cuckoo maran chicks too!

if it is a maran, what are the likelyhood it's STILL gonna be a pullet, because the JBG that it was supposed to have been is a pullet

Top Bottom