My Jersey Giant is extremely sick and I'm worried she might die tomorrow morning :(

ahmadsp

In the Brooder
5 Years
Dec 3, 2014
A few months ago, our little tiny cochin hen raised about six chicks from different mothers in our flock. There were several Jersey Giant looking ones, one that looks very unique, and two roosters. They've grown up so fast its amazing. They're experiencing their first winter this year and Iv'e been having several problems. The biggest problem I have was that the past few days its been pouring for several days non stop here in California, and Iv'e been getting leaks in the roof in the chicken coop. Well I didn't really know it was going to rain the day before it would start pouring and before I realized how bad it was, most of my chickens were soaked. The floor of the coop was also pretty soaked up. Well my mother kept insisting me that if I didn't fix the leaks then the chickens would end up becoming sick. So I sealed up the leaks but it was too late. My little Jersey Giant buddy that isn't really little but huge and has grown massively in just four months got very sick. Her symptoms of sickness started on Monday, and my mom alerted me about it. Iv'e been extremely busy this entire week studying and I haven't payed attention to her. Well finally today I was fed up and took her inside my house and with the help of my mom, we chopped up a few pieces of garlic with turmeric powder with some warm water and manually fed her since she didn't want to eat. Tonight it started to rain pretty hard but the leaks were fixed. The chickens started flying up towards their sleeping spots but she wasn't able to get up all the way. Then our rooster got scared when i got in so he jumped out of his sleeping spot and knocked her off to the ground. Everyone eventually went back to their sleeping spots except for her. My mom advised me to get a cardboard box and fill it up with dry leaves and let her rest in that during the night. She seemed very weak so I put her in the box with dry leaves and put it underneath an open counter in the coop. She didn't want to eat at all and she would just stand around and not move excitedly like the other chickens when they'd see me. Her chest seemed puffed up and she would try to run away from me but fail real easily. I just wanted to ask you guys if it was good that I gave her turmeric powder with garlic. I've been worried sick about her for the past night. I insisted my mom if I could put her inside our house but she kept saying no. I pray to God that I don't see her dead in the morning. She's my favorite hen and my week would be ruined if I had to bury a young hen that was born and raised in my home. I feel as if I'm a horrible person that neglected my animals' needs.
sad.png

Welcome to BYC. Sorry that no one has answered your first post until now. With rainy wet conditions, I might consider coccidiosis as a possible illness. Lethargy, standing around puffed up or hunched, poor appetite, weakness, and diarrhea with or without blood are the symptoms. Corid or amprollium is the treatment in the water for 5-7 days. Worms could also be a concern. Does she have any breathing symptoms or nasal drainage? I do know of people using herbs in chickens' diets, but unfortunately amounts are never precise, so it's hard to say what is a proper dose.

She doesn't have any breathing problems nor nasal drainage. I haven't gotten to see if she had diarrhea or not since I've been extremely busy throughout the week. I've given her some tumeric powder with diced garlic and olive oil right before she went to bed and put he back into her box. This disease you're stating, coccidiodis? Is it life threatening? Are there any natural remedies to kick that disease in the a**?

Coccidiosis is an intestinal infection that they can get from the soil or other chickens, and it can be deadly, or cause the chicken to be sickly. Corid is mild drug that mimics thiamine in the cocci oocyst, causing it to die. Even organic farmers will use it because it is not an antibiotic, plus it is harmless if that is not the illness. Many people think that garlic or cayenne pepper will treat worms,but they need dewormers such as Valbazen or Safeguard liquid goat wormer. Worms can cause extensive damage to the gut, and may also damage other organs as well. Dewormers are much safer than worms.

Last edited:
Sorry for the late response. She still seems sick, and Iv'e examined her poop if that helps. It seems to be a light green with a dark green, and very icky, not like regular poop. There's no blood but it doesn't look good. Any ideas if this is still part of Coccidiosis? I thought that the poop had to be bloody but there seems to be no signs of blood.

Blood in stools happens in 3 out of 9 strains of cocci only. I would try the Corid, and I would also worm her with Valbazen or SafeGuard 1/2 ml orally, and repeated in 10 days. It certainly won't hurt. Corid is found in the cattle medicines in feed stores. Dosage is 2 tsp of the liquid Corid, or 1.5 tsp of the powder per gallon of water for 5-7 days. there is no egg withdrawal with Corid, but there is an egg w/d of 14 days after the last dose of wormer.

GetThumbnail.aspx

Last edited:
Hey, once again sorry for the late reply. I'm going to my local feed tomorrow since its closed on Sundays to purchase some Corid. This morning she was't eating so i put food in her mouth so she could eat a little. I then got a syringe and put some water in her mouth. She seems as if she cannot keep balance and is constantly stumbling. Is this just because she's getting weaker because she's not getting her nutrients? I'm very worried about her.
sad.png

She may be weak from dehydration and electrolyte imbalance due to not eating. Have you wormed her yet? If there are other feed store or Tractor Supply near you, I would try to get the Corid sooner since she has been ill for days. You can make electrolytes or use Pedialyte or Gaotrade to give her fluids today with a dropper, syringe, or by dipping her beak into the mixture.

HOMEMADE ELECTROLYTE SOLUTION
1/2 teaspoon salt substitute* (potassium)
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon table salt
1 tablespoon sugar
1 gallon water

Last edited:
no, i have not wormed her yet unfortunately. Since I live in a somewhat urban environment and not a countryside, it is very very difficult to find the simplest things I need. I've went to every feed store in my area, which ins't necessarily my area but 25 miles out of my area, and they don't have any diatomeceous earth last time I checked. Hopefully this time they have corid on their shelves and if they don't, well I guess it's time for online shopping. I did give her some more water to prevent dehydration but I don't think it's really helping.

DE (diatomaceous earth) is not what you need anyway, it won't help this bird at all. Get the Corid and get one of the wormers Eggcessive listed. Liquid Safeguard for goats is usually easy to find locally, Valbazen you may have to order on-line. Do you have a Tractor Supply near you? If this bird is by chance fighting a case of coccidiosis I'm afraid you don't have time to wait for Corid to come in the mail.

Once you do get the meds, if she is not eating/drinking on her own you will need to give her the medicated water with a needless syringe or eye dropper, just be sure to go slow, dribble it in the side of her beak and let her swallow. Do this as often as you can the first day or so and see if she starts to perk up and drink on her own. If you can find the liquid Corid you can give her a couple drops of that undiluted to get her started, then mix with water to continue the regular course of treatment.

Back
Top Bottom