my Jersey Giant ... **new problem 7/17**

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Lorije1, Jul 16, 2010.

1. Lorije1

Lorije1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 13, 2010
    My 10wk old Jersey Giant just lays around. She eats fine, but she lays down to do it. She is always the last one to leave the henhouse - the others will be out in my yard and she stands in there and calls for them. I carry her out to the yard and she runs to meet them, then lays down and begins to eat. 95% of the time one of my Buff Orps stays with her, but if she is left alone and someone squawks that they have found a treasure she goes running .... and then promptly lays down. She flaps her wings, she can get up on the relatively high roost.... *shrug*
    She does look kind of raggedy to me compared to the other JG her same age, and she is smaller (BO sized). I never see her scratch in the dirt.

So, is she just lazy? Is she crazy? Or should I be concerned that she is sick?
    The topic of this post
    [​IMG]

The other JG
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 17, 2010
  2. mmaddie's mom

mmaddie's mom Chillin' With My Peeps

Hoping she is just lazy... but time will tell.
    Sorry for a not better answer.

3. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    I suspect a vitamin deficiency, was she like that as a chick? Even if she wasnt, I recommend giving her crushed vitamin B complex tablets in her feed, seperate from the others. It takes JG's 2 years to fully mature into adults and her muscles, tendons etc...probably need an extra boost to carry her weight. I also recommend giving her poultry nutri drench in her water or one or 2 drops directly into her mouth. It is loaded with vitamins and minerals. Dont give her no more than 3 days of nutri drench, it can cause diarrhea. Additionally, give her some probiotics to build up her immune system, plain yogurt or buttermilk mixed in her feed for 3 days. Summary: Probiotics and nutri drench for 3 days and stop. Crushed vitamin B complex tablets in feed for no more than 1 week or stop sooner if you see improvement. Hope this helps. I almost forgot; make sure she gets crushed oyster shell also, as well as the rest of your chickens.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2010
  4. Lorije1

Mar 13, 2010
    Just regular buy it at the store human vitamin B complex? or is there something at the feed store? I guess when I go to get the nutri drench tomorrow I can ask the feed store... it is a mom and pop place so they will probably be more knowledgeable than a big chain store with high schoolers on summer jobs.

thanks for your input

ETA -- they are all still "babies" - nobody laying, so should they get oyster shells?

Last edited: Jul 16, 2010
  5. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Yes, you can buy it any place that has a pharmacy. I bought mine at CVS for a Salmon Faverolle pullet that had the same issues as your JG. The nutri drench should be at your feed store. You're going to eventually need oyster shell, you might as well go ahead and get it. Your pullets will need calcium(from the oyster shell)to produce eggs. Giving some to them wont hurt them,they may or may not eat it anyway lol.

6. Lorije1

Mar 13, 2010
    awesome... thanks so much she is a funny little bird and I worry about her

7. Lorije1

Mar 13, 2010
    Ok so my stinking feed store doesn't have nutri drench! They have something called "Kickn chikn" or something?
    I did get some plain yogurt and B complex. I crushed the vitamin into the yogurt and she almost took my fingers off! I put the mix in a little tray and she vaccumed it all up super fast, asked to get off of my lap and promptly lay down in the shade. I am really starting to get concerned about her.
    Can I perhaps feed her stuff like tuna / eggs / gatorade since I dont' have the nutri drench?

I went to Walgreens to get the vitamins and guess what?!?! We're getting a TSC!!! I bet THEY would have what I need. [​IMG]

8. SallyF

SallyF Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2009
    Middle Tennessee
    Don't bet the farm on that one!!

9. Lorije1

Mar 13, 2010
    Somebody HAS to have it [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by