My journey towards chickendom!

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by SavageDestiny, Jan 22, 2014.

1. SavageDestiny

SavageDestiny Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2014
    Bend, OR
    Well, I finally got both husband and landlord approval for chickens! [​IMG] The landlord was much easier- he actually laughed at me for bothering to ask. So I decided to keep a thread going with each stage of getting ready for the chickens!

First and foremost, I had to clean up the yard area they're going to be in. Our yard is pretty small and doesn't have much of a view, so the dogs are the only ones to use it. And they just use it to potty. So all we've really ever done with the yard is pick up the dog poop, we never much bother with the dead leaves and pine needles. The patio set was bought when we first moved in and basically never used because all you can see out there is walls.

Today I raked up all the leaves and needles and sawed down a bunch of the little offshoots of that tree thing. Doesn't look like much now but when the leaves come in it's a jungle in there, and I wanted the chickens to be able to move around in between the two main parts of it.

Before:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And now!

[​IMG]

The lawn chair is going to stay in the yard for something for the chickens to play on. I'm keeping the table too, I figure it will keep a nice dry area when it snows for the chickens to go out in or shelter if it happens to rain.

Still have to build fencing, build a coop, rake the other half of the yard, and so many other things. But it's a start!

2. sonoralinda

sonoralinda Out Of The Brooder

Jan 2, 2014
    Sonora, CA
    Do you know what kind or size of a coop you want and what kind of chickens you want? Are you going to go for a prefab or build it yourself? Exciting!

3. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    What about building your coop in sections sort of like a pre fab so that you can dismantle it and take it along if and when you get your own home. Good luck in your planning.

4. SavageDestiny

Jan 11, 2014
    Bend, OR
    We can only have 4 chickens in city limits, so 4 it will be! I'm planning on the coop being 4x4. I'm going to build it myself, and by that I mean I am going to force my father to come over and do all the work while I hover around uselessly. [​IMG] The only tools I own are a cordless drill and a jigsaw, purchased to build a dog ramp, which ended disastrously. The ramp was a horrible monstrosity that fell apart within 6 months. But my dad is pretty handy, so I'm enlisting him for chicken coop building!

I really would like Wyandottes since they are so pretty and are supposed to be such good layers. But I will just have to find out what is available in my area!

1 person likes this.
  5. Auroradream26

Auroradream26 Smothered in Feathers Premium Member

May 14, 2013
    Central, PA
    Your yard looks a lot like the one at our old house. We couldn't have chickens there though :( now that we've moved, we're getting our first chicks and will be clearing out a spot and building or own coop too! Good luck! I'm anxious to see how it turns out (for ourselves too lol)

6. RiddleMe

RiddleMe Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2011
    Central Oregon
    Did you save the leaves and such that you raked up? Your chickens will love scratching around in them, plus as they compost in the run they will attract bugs. Sounds silly but I wish I had leaves! All we have are the junipers.

7. SavageDestiny

Jan 11, 2014
    Bend, OR
    No, I tossed them! The leaves were kinda slimy and gross, and I feared mold. They haven't dried out since the first snow thanks to all the shade in our yard. We will have PLENTY of fresh leaves and pine needles this fall though, we have 2 other trees in the other half of the yard and the neighbors have a pine that sheds needles over on our side of the fence.

It's weird for me too! I grew up on property out east of Bend and all there is out there is juniper, sage, and cheat grass!

8. RiddleMe

RiddleMe Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2011
    Central Oregon
    I'm north of Redmond and that's all we have, juniper, sage, and cheat grass. But on the up side we have 5 1/2 acres of it. :) I would love a bunch of pine needles for my runs, I would just go out towards Sisters and fill my truck bed from BLM land but not sure if that is legal (suspect it's not). So for now I just get the occassional bale of alfalfa, gives them something to dig in and extra greens in the winter. And they free range daily...

9. WoodenCoyote

WoodenCoyote Out Of The Brooder

Jan 18, 2014
    Sir Ceredigion, Cymru
    That's brilliant :D I hope you don't mind me bothering you with questions about chickens in small yards - we'll be doing the same in a few months, haha. How high is the fencing around your property? Any urban pests?

10. SavageDestiny

Jan 11, 2014
    Bend, OR
    Try putting an ad on Craigslist that you're happy to rake someone's yard of pine needles and haul it away! I'd be willing to bet loads of people would be thrilled to have someone clean their yard for them.

No bother at all! The wooden fence to the left is 8' tall. The concrete wall in the back is roughly 6' tall with an additional 5-6' of wooden fencing on top of it. Our house forms the other side of the yard. The dividing fence I will put up to keep the dogs and chickens separate will either be 5' or 6', I haven't made up my mind yet!

The only potential predators are dogs and cats. Thankfully we don't generally have loose dogs in our neighborhood, and I'm hoping the nice high fencing will discourage cats from wandering in.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by