my journey with cancer

Discussion in 'Family Life - Stories, Pictures & Updates' started by GUIENALADY, Jul 20, 2010.

1. GUIENALADY

GUIENALADY Rest in Peace 1956-2010

May 1, 2007
    Belvidere nc
    as some of you may have read i had a vent about emergancy rooms,to find out that i had uterine cancer so guess this will be a journey of sorts. i am ferverantly hoping it is a short one. [​IMG] on july 19th went to the cancer dr. he wanted to do the bandaide type of surgery but after a exam decided to opt for the other , so will be staying in hospital a few days. then have to wait 10 days for the results and get the staples out. eww.

so have about a month to get thru.,trying to get things done , line up some help to care for the animals and maybe even dh, he is not much good at fending for himself and his heatlth isn't that great either, degenerative eye deasiese , walks like a drunk ,cause some of his meds make him dizzy.and 85 years old to boot. so worry more about him than me but guess biggest thing is trying not to have to many meltdowns, ,being scared, worry alot already about everything , dr wants to do a sonogram, catscan , exrays before surgery looking for any cancer anywhere else.

i do have a friend that is going to do the driving i can't and dh shouldn't ( he still thinks he can drive good) ...not really [​IMG] right now doing pretty good and determined to not give up or scare myself too much....will have to quit reading on the internet...lol

2. yellowchickensmomma

yellowchickensmomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2009
    I'm so sorry GUIENALADY. If I was near you I would be willing to help, cook, clean and take care of the animals. I hope everything gets better for you. You will be in my thoughts and I will send you my prayers.[​IMG]

3. CoyoteMagic

CoyoteMagic RIP ?-2014

First off, you need to take a few and cry yourself simple. Scream, throw things, whatever it takes.

Done? Good!

Now let's get on with you being a Survivor! I have spent the last 2 years fighting the battle of Breast Cancer. Folks around here will tell you that I am the last person that is going to hold your hand, pull out the violins and have a pity party with you. Some may even tell you I'm a real............. [​IMG] LOL

You can hate me for saying this but, your husband is a big boy and can fend for himself. This is about you and only YOU. Until you are ready to fight and fight as hard as you can, you can't win. You've got to get good and mad as helloooooooooooooo. Not at the world around you but at the disease. Fear has no place in this battle.

There are a lot of fighters on this board who will tell you the same thing I am. We are right here beside you to pull you along with us. Even if we have to do it with kicking and screaming!!

4. MysticScorpio82

MysticScorpio82 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2009
    Maine, USA
    Quote:[​IMG] Well said! Mental Attitude is key in winning this battle. You can have the best doctors and meds in the world, but if you give up, you won't win. You can do this! You can pull through this!! I am praying for you [​IMG]

5. WingingIt

WingingIt Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2009
    I think you've got a good attitude already from what I'm seeing. I say if it worries or tires you taking care of your husband, then don't. He can eat sandwiches for a while. BUT, you may also find that concentrating on him makes things easier for you, and if that's so, then by all means make lists for him and friends. My Mom has battled cancer twice now and she functions best when she's NOT concentrating on the battle. Oh, she does what she needs to as far as treatment and testing, but otherwise she's making sure everything is still getting done at home and work, making lists for those that are helping her, etc.

With as many cancers as we have running in both sides of my family, it's pretty much a matter of time for me and my personality is like hers, so I'll probably be making lists and distracting myself, too. I think it's a good thing that your doctor decided to go 'whole hog' [​IMG] instead of just taking the bare minimum. Less chance of having to go right back in that way.

You are in my thoughts and prayers. Keep talking to us. And stay away from Google until you know exactly what you are dealing with, you never read the millions of good news stories there, only the bad ones, so just avoid it completely until you have specific things to look up. [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 21, 2010
  6. Lunachick

Lunachick Chicken Slave

Mar 19, 2007
    Brick, NJ
    I was thinking of you Guinealady and hoping you would post. The surgery is the first step, you will get through that fine. (I was scared because I never had surgery ever! But it was a breeze, they know what they're doing - they'll take good care of you) The second step is the biopsy on the innards........then you have to do what you have to do. Hopefully it was contained in one area and did not spread out. If it did spread out a bit, then they will most likely recommend chemo/radiation. (Like me) All this depends on your situation.

I did my share of googling......it may be a bit scary, but just glean the info you need and try not to go much further - you end up getting too much info and you just want to scream! But I believe it's good to be armed with most of the info they have out there for you. If you read my thread from the beginning, you will get my experience blow by blow. And with the support here, you can't go wrong.

Try not to worry too much, that doesn't help at all. After all, where does the worrying get you? Your attitude sounds like mine. [​IMG] Do what you need to do to prepare yourself and your family. YOU need the care now. I had a hard time (in my mind) about letting people care for me, but I figured it out pretty fast. [​IMG] It wasn't so hard. Now I'm almost done with this "journey" and looking forward to a new chapter.

BTW - After all my research on this experience and getting myself all prepared and ready for the worst -- I didn't get the worse! We're all here for you if you have questions or just need a hug. Here's your hug from me today [​IMG]

7. GUIENALADY

May 1, 2007
    Belvidere nc
    thanks everyone for the hugs and support....i have already had a couple of mini meltdowns, then told myself enough for now.. i definately plan on being as optomistick as possible and read on the internet. right now it is just wait for the surgury next month ,right now waiting for them to set up adate to do all those lovely tests they want to do, exray, blood work ect. since i live in north carolina and the hospital is a hour and half away.they are going to try and get it all done in one day so i don't have to make so many trips. so far everyone i met at the dr offic is really nice.

i know for a fact dh is gonna have a rude awakening over the next month or so. He is gonna have to take the back seat/ it is usually all about him....today for instance i put his sandwhich stuff out and he didn't use the mustard so asked why not and it was .....i did not put out a knife for him!.....1 it was a squeeze bottle and 2 he could have got it himself , it is only about 4 steps to sink and dish rack with clean dishes .[​IMG] anyway he has been doing without the mustard even tho it was on the table.

glenn can be the nicest man but he can also be a pill to deal with, but guess there is not much point in trying to teach him new ways at 85 years old, though i sometimes wonder if he is going threw a second or third childhood. [​IMG] i better watch it or i will end up griping more about him than anything.

since before i found out about the cancer i have had terrible back aches and today is the same ..don't know if that is part of the desiease or just a back ache..they used to go away afte moving around a bit.

here is a bit of a funny..my dr last name is squatrito pronounce (sqwa trito) think i am gonna call him dr squint since i cannot pronounce it ! lol

8. GUIENALADY

May 1, 2007
    Belvidere nc
    today and yesterday are crap days,,cramps, backache, and dh haveing snarky attitude. mowed for an hour last and need to so again today. [​IMG]

9. CoyoteMagic

CoyoteMagic RIP ?-2014

Let him do it!! That will teach him for being snarky! If you don't feel good, rest,sleep do whatever makes you feel good! Better yet, do nothing at all! Mowing can wait.

Have you heard anything else from the docs?

10. b.hromada

b.hromada Flock Mistress

I send prayers up for you. [​IMG] I'm hoping they can take care of everything in one trip for you. Travel can be difficult on you as well. Please take care, and do keep us updated.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by