1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    Not a member yet? join BYC here & then introduce yourself in our community forum here.

My jubilee Orpington Hen looks suspiciously rooster-ish

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by abita17, Feb 10, 2018.

1. abita17

abita17 In the Brooder

Oct 4, 2016
    OKLAHOMA
    Blinky is almost one- we raised her from a chick. I always thought she was a rooster. She was bigger, aggressive and walked like one. However- her stance changed and I've considered her a hen since she was a pullet.. Until now!

She has a very impressive comb and waddle.
    Her feathers are more pointed than round.
    She.. Gets busy with the hens. Some let her.
    She has an impressive tail- resembling a rooster as well.

She's never crowed. That I know of anyway!
    I'm not sure if she's laying or not. My hubs did say he saw her in the coop sitting the other day- she didn't lay though.

She walks like a hen.

She also has that little toe on her back leg like our rooster. I'm not sure if that's a breed or sex characteristic.

Since my phone camera got destroyed by a very mischievous toddler I don't have any recent photos of her- so my question is.. Can a hen do/be all the things I've listed? Are any of these definitive of sex?

Thank you!

2. Okay, so some hens, if there is no other rooster will start acting like one. So my first question is "do you have another rooster"? also, the "little toe" is called a spur, and is only found in roosters, used for fighting. definitely listen for a crow, and i would suggest if possible watch her all day to lay an egg. if she doesn't, i thinnk i might be safe to assume she MAY be a rooster. but like i said, some hens can act that way, do you have another rooster???

3. debid

debid Crowing 7 Years

Jan 20, 2011
    middle TN
    The rooster feathers are the most reliable tell and I'd happily point them out for you if you had a picture. If it looks and acts like a rooster, though, I'm not sure why you doubt that it is.

drumstick diva likes this.
  4. same, i could use some pics

5. RoostersAreAwesome

RoostersAreAwesome Crowing

May 21, 2017
    If it has pointy saddle feathers, it's a rooster. If the feathers are rounded, it's a hen. A picture (even an older one) would be very helpful.

6. RoostersAreAwesome

RoostersAreAwesome Crowing

May 21, 2017
    Hens can have spurs, so it is definitely not a 100% way to tell whether you have a rooster or a hen.

7. yes we need a pic. or check your self. rounded hen, poited rooster

8. ChooksNQuilts

ChooksNQuilts Crowing

Nov 26, 2017
    Southwest Idaho
    A friend has a flock of 6. She’s not allowed to have roosters. Her dominant hen is an Easter Egger. She will crow sometimes. I even took video of it because I couldn’t believe it lol.

Brahma Chicken5000 likes this.
  9. FlyingNunFarm

FlyingNunFarm Free Ranging

May 28, 2015
    Chardon, OH
    My Coop
    A picture is most definitely helpful but I’ll throw my two cents in... like others said in absence of a rooster some hens will take on the male role. There is also the possibility of a hen being injured and her female hormone levels dropping to the point where the male hormones become stronger. The hen can then take on male characteristics and even start to crow. Obviously no egg laying or egg fertilizing. But it is possible for she to become he.

Brahma Chicken5000 likes this.
  10. sylviethecochin

sylviethecochin Crowing

Jun 14, 2017
    Central PA
    I've had hens with inch-long spurs. I've only heard of one breed of rooster that is commonly spur-less, and that's a silkie. All my roosters have spurs. I certainly don't fight them!

drumstick diva likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: