My Jumbo Cortunix quail...

Discussion in 'Quail' started by SamG347, Jun 20, 2008.

1. SamG347

SamG347 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2007
    PA
    Well I managed to finally get some pics of my breeder birds. These are Jumbo Browns and Goldens. I will be working on a Jumbo Black and Smokey/grey cortunix here in the future.
    Enjoy!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

They're beautiful little birds, Sam. I miss the covey of quail that used to breeze through my place. Two males and three females. Haven't seen them in a couple of years now.

3. Wolf-Kim

Wolf-Kim Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 25, 2008
    Very cool! I cannot wait for my quail to grow up! They hatched just Monday night. LOL. I'm being impatient because it is our first batch and so far we have lost quite a bit more than anticipated. It is just so easy to kill the little things it's crazy. Hubby keeps reminding me, "it's our first batch and we're still learning. It will be okay" because after the second and third group of losses I was getting emotionally frustrated... *sigh* Sorry for the slight rant.. LOL

Very cool!

-Kim

4. chickenzoo

chickenzoo Emu Hugger

Yep, those little things like to pile on top of each other and,or drown themselves. I've never seen such cute, happy little killers! LOL Marbles in water dish and a lot of space with round corners, Ha Ha.

5. Wolf-Kim

Jan 25, 2008
    Quote:I had my heatlamp lower while I was at school and it trapped 4-6 newly hatched chicks under it and killed them. That really upset me. Then we had a couple not absorb some organs, so we culled them once we realized they weren't going to pull through. Then they waterer in the brooder ran out of water, so hubby's father put a tupperware container in there with rocks and water. Hubby figured the chicks were doing well enough to be without the rocks while he set the chick waterers up. So he took the rocks out of the tupperware to place in the chick waterers out in the barn. Came back in a few minutes and 4-6 had drown and another couple had nearly drowned but made it out. The nearly drowned were huddling under the heatlamp looking like they too were fading fast now. Ugh, not having a great time with our very first batch of quail.

They are terribly cute though. LOL

I know they are easier to raise, we are just having a tough time with this particular batch, which happens to be our first.

-Kim

6. chickenzoo

chickenzoo Emu Hugger

Hang in their it will get better, promise! The ones that got wet, you might Blow dry them, speed up the drying process so they don't get chilled any more. Heat lamps are known to slide down when least expected and make crispy sticks out of your favorite ones. Sorry, I know it hurts. I've lost many and have come to the concusion that laughter is better than crying, and makes things heal faster. Do your best, thats the best you can do and your at the right place to find good info on them....[​IMG]

7. Ace_king_brahma

Ace_king_brahma Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2008
    Castroville, Texas
    Your Golden Manchurians are beautiful! Remind me of mine except they are only half that size.

8. WriterofWords

WriterofWords Has Fainting Chickens

Dec 25, 2007
    Chaparral, New Mexico
    I love your big birds! Mine weren't the Jumbo but they were sure adorable.

9. Wolf-Kim

Jan 25, 2008
    Quote:LOL.. Concusion.. [​IMG] I think I would rather come to the conclusion and not the concusion.. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

I know what you mean though.. I just hate to think they suffered.. You know somethings not right when you walk into the brooder room in the barn and smell BBQ when no one's cookin. Ha! That brooder lamp about caught the whole brooder on fire when it came within a couple centimeters from the shavings.. And then the ants were having a grand ol' picnic eating fried quail..

I know it should get better, I can't wait for it to get better. Started with nearly 100 eggs and I'm down to 41 quail(including the two that got wet but made it out).. Looks like we are just going to have to wait until the second batch before we have quail for dinner.. Hubby will be dissapointed when I tell him to put the knives away for another 10 weeks. LOL

-Kim

Last edited: Jun 20, 2008
  10. Omniskies

Omniskies Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2008
    Missouri
    I'd love to get some eggs if you do end up with any grey quail. I'm mixing and matching my quail to try for that color, as well.

Though, right now I'm being horribly lazy about it. I'm mixing colors blindly and keeping pretty chicks. I've grabbed a bunch of A&M quail since I've heard white typically hides the color the bird actually is. I'm hoping to find some funky things hidden in there.

Good luck with yours. If I get any blacks or greys I'll let you know [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by