My Jumbo Pekin won't eat PLEASE HELP

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by tonisummers, Oct 7, 2016.

1. tonisummers

tonisummers Just Hatched

Oct 7, 2016
    Hello, I have had my jumbo pekin now for roughly two and a half years, and I have never ever had a problem with him not eating. He is an indoor kept duck, and he hates when I force him to play in the yard. Anyway, he's a happy duck. He always eats and loves to drink water and play in his water. Here lately I have been giving him a banana a day, because he has seemed to take quite a liking to them. he LOVES them! I had tried to feed him corn scratch and duck feed crumbles, but for some reason small pebbled parrot feed is his favorite. he gets warm baths regularly, and always has access to food and water. I have been staying with my parents for the last three nights, and i still come home everyday to spend time with him and feed and water him and check on him. however, he has not touched his food. he wont eat any of it. he seems rather heavy when I pick him up, but he has been eating a lot lately. but i read online that this could be something wrong with his intestines, and I read that they could rupture? I'm just very scared, because his poop has been almost completely water. My parents thought that he could be missing me, but even when I try to feed him by hand and take him out of the coop he still doesn't want anything to do with food, I have been trying to give him old favorites of his and treats, but he will only eat roughly one piece, if that, but nothing else. I did not feel anything in his windpipe, but he seems to have a sort sound to him when he breathes.

Also, I give him niacin in his water daily, and I always be sure to slide in a little ACV or sugar in there on occasion. About two months ago, he had a few seizures from what i thought was niacin deficiency, but ever since i have started giving him niacin, they have stopped.

2. lomine

lomine Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2015
    Peyton, CO
    I'm just guessing here but... Maybe it's the banana. I know eating greener or unripe bananas can cause constipation in people so maybe it's the same for ducks. Ripe bananas are the opposite. If it were me I would try some Epsom salt in his water; its a laxative. If he is constipated it could help him move things along. But be careful because he might get dehydrated if he gets too much.

You are giving him access to grit right?

3. tonisummers

tonisummers Just Hatched

Oct 7, 2016
    Yes I have been, but it's always untouched. And I've read about the epsom salt laxative, I just don't know how much to give him :/

4. lomine

lomine Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2015
    Peyton, CO
    If he goes outside he might be getting what he needs out there for grit.

Epsom salt is one tablespoon per cup of water.

5. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    I have a couple of thoughts - one is, yes, sometimes bananas can slow the digestive system.

But - is he alone? I think that's what I understand. I mean, you visit, but you are not around like you had been. And if you are his one and only, that guy could be dreadfully depressed. Depressed ducks will stop eating and could - well, I think it's possible it could be very harmful to him.

And that may not be the case. But I would consider the possibility.

I would get him an unbreakable mirror for company. I would also try to get him to eat just a tiny bit, maybe quarter teaspoon, of coconut oil. It helps reduce yeast in the digestive tract and may help lubricate it if it's stopped up.

6. tonisummers

tonisummers Just Hatched

Oct 7, 2016
    Hello, I took him to the vet. The vet said he had caught worms some how which had given him a bacterial infection. So that's why! He started eating again, but I'd say only about a 1/2 a cup- 3/4 of a cup a day, but is pooping A lot. But it's all dark and watery mostly.

7. tonisummers

tonisummers Just Hatched

Oct 7, 2016
    Also, I ALWAYS keep a mirror in his cage. I have two new ducks I'm getting this week on Tuesday, so he won't be alone

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by