My Junglefowl/Japanese Pheonix chicks fighting!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Mader631, Jan 16, 2010.

1. Mader631

Mader631 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 18, 2009
    What the heck, I only have 8 Junglefowl/Japanese Pheonix crossed chicks in an XXL Rubbermade clear plastic storage bin/booder & they just strated fighting tonight!!!!!!!!!!! I only have 8 chicks in this huge thing.............. they get chick strater(un-medicated)& clean water. They always have more than enough food + I started giving them a Microwaved beaten egg 1-time a day for added protein & ect. This is the 1st time having Junglefowl/Japanese Pheonix crosses.........are these birds that high strung??? My chicks are about 2 weeks old already, wing feathers are grown & tails are comming fast & they started fighting, cock fight style, head to head jump kicking. Need info. on this if anyone has any ideas what I should do........................they have a ton of room, don't know why they fight.

2. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Chicks fight. It's how they establish their pecking order, which should be up and running well by six weeks old or so. There will be lots of feet first kung fu moves and chest bumping. All normal.
    If no one's drawing blood, best to let them sort it out.
    If they seem overly active and you are using a white heat lamp bulb, consider switching to a red bulb.
    ETA: The chick fights also do not tell you a thing about the sex of the chicks either. In other words, male chicks fight no more than female chicks at that age.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2010
  3. Mader631

Dec 18, 2009
    Yes, I'm using the Clear 250w Heat lamp............ The red works better??

4. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    My two week old chicks are fighting all the time. It's what they do... (when they aren't eating, sleeping and POOPING!)

Last edited: Jan 16, 2010
  5. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:Using a red heat bulb tends to calm things down a bit.

6. Mader631

Dec 18, 2009
    I might have to try that then..........................

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by