My Keets are Hatching!!!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Rose66, Apr 8, 2012.

1. Rose66

Rose66 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 26, 2011
    Alabama
    This is our first time trying to incubate any eggs and we set 42 guinea eggs. I really had no idea how old the eggs were because we just happened to find two large nests on March 16th and a guinea hen was sitting on one of the nests. I quickly ordered a 1588 incubator and egg turner and it got here four days later. We set it up and let it run for about an hour, gathered all the eggs from both nests, and then we set 42 of the eggs on March 20th. We put the top eggs that the guinea hen had been sitting on in first and then filled in the rest of the rows with some of the other eggs. Since we didn't know how long the guinea hen had been sitting on the one nest, we had no idea when the eggs might hatch. But they started hatching early this morning and so far five of them have hatched and are already dry and in the brooder and there are seven more that have pipped.

We also put eight of the guinea eggs under a broody hen we had and she hatched two of them so far. I have taken them from her and put them in the brooder. We left 13 eggs under the guinea hen and just two days ago we saw that something (snake probably??) had eaten all but four of the eggs. One of her eggs hatched this morning and we took that keet and the other three eggs from her and put them in the incubator.

The keets that have hatched so far are all eating, drinking, and wobbling around in the brooder. It's neat to see day old keets. The youngest I've ever seen is 2 weeks. They are all precious.

This is a staggered hatch so the less developed eggs may not make it since I turned off the egg turner last night and upped the humidity but we'll just have to wait and see. I know which eggs were the ones on the top of the nest that the guinea hen was already sitting on and they are the ones pipping now. The other eggs that no hen was sitting on are not as far along in development, I guess because they didn't start developing until we put them in the incubator on March 20th. If we're lucky, maybe some of them will hatch later.

Well I guess this post is about as clear as mud, [​IMG] Sorry if I've confused everybody. We are just happy that we got any keets from this haphazard, hurried, staggered, first time ever, hatch!

Rose

2. Rose66

Rose66 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 26, 2011
    Alabama
    The next to last keet to hatch so far has a bit of egg membrane still attached to it's wing. I did not pull it off thanks to reading not to do that on this board. I let it get completely dry and then wet the tip of my finger to moisten the membrane to see if it would soften and fall off. So far it hasn't and it's been almost 5 hours since it hatched. Should I do anything to it? The keet is eating and drinking and moving around normal. Will it fall off on it's own?

Thanks for any help with this.
    Rose

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by