MY KEETS, HOW YOU TELL THE GIRLS FROM BOYS.?

Discussion in 'Guinea Fowl' started by chic4me12, Oct 28, 2013.

1. chic4me12

chic4me12 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 2, 2012
    [​IMG]

2. Well, if your babies are over 8 weeks old you will have a clue. Other wise it is a crap shot. The girls will start "calling". They do the "Buck Wheat" call you hear and if you
    Google "female Guinea Fowl call" you will get a sound bite. Really, this is the only way that i have FOR SURE found the girls in the crowd.

3. Tacampbell1973

Tacampbell1973 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2013
    Washington State
    Like an idiot i had tried the "dangling" method. I don't know what else to call it. According to that of 11 keets I had 7 females and 4 males. We shall see...when I later polled everyone here at BYC i was told this method is something like only 75% accurate or so and moreover that it is dangerous as you can injure their legs. Furthermore I no longer "try new methods" unless I first check here with people who have far more experience than myself . (which is not hard to find as I have only been at the chicken/guinea keeping for less than a year[​IMG]. Anyway as you will read, they say here that you can only really tell when they are mature and then by theiir calls. Which then I have to wonder, what if you have a large bunch and can't tell who is doing the different calls? Fowl, like so many other things I have encountered in life are just destined to not have a simple answer. I guess that is what makes them so fun and interesting. Always something new to learn.

4. TShelton54

TShelton54 Out Of The Brooder

May 1, 2012
    Dickson Tn.
    Voice is about the only reliable indicator of sex.

5. PioneerPrincess

PioneerPrincess Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 16, 2009
    TX
    Yup, voice is the only way to know what gender guineas you have. Females are the only ones that can 'Buck-Wheat' and they can also do the 'male' call 'Chi-chi-chi'. Here's a link that may help you: http://www.guineafowl.com/fritsfarm/guineas/sounds/

I love your avatar, by the way!

6. Tacampbell1973

Tacampbell1973 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2013
    Washington State
    My babies are now 7 weeks and today they got their big guy call, Not the "help I can't find my siblings" call, but the " hey why are you ignoring me, i NEED a treat, NOW" call that would rival a young elephant trumpeting. I thought for a minute it was an adult outside until I saw them do it. Yay another milestone...
    I have played the sound bite of the adult guineas for them a few times and I notice when they hear the females they look around for them, but when I play the males they act afraid and hide under each other. I wonder if the male cry is more of a warniing cry...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by