my kentucky state fair chicken...a little help?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by loloraits55, Aug 16, 2013.

1. loloraits55

loloraits55 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 21, 2012
    the guy said it was a frizzle..but im not sure...i know one of its parents is a silkie. says its a she but i wanted to make sure..she has a bit of a comb but no wattle at all..she was also in a cage with another adolescent and it was larger and had a larger comb.[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. loloraits55

Dec 21, 2012
    also she stunk to high heaven so i bathed her and her feathers are just a tiny bit damp in these pictures

3. SuburbSpurs

SuburbSpurs Chillin' With My Peeps

Most of the state fairs I have been to don't allow crossbreeds. Unless it is for production purposes like delaware with a rhode island red.

4. SuburbSpurs

He doesn't look very silkie to me, it has the 5 toes but its not built the same, it doesn't have a hood or fluff on its head. It's most definitely a cross.

5. loloraits55

Dec 21, 2012
    at the kentucky state fair they have birds for competition and then a small area for vendors to sell chickens...there arent really rules for those birds because they arent being judged for anything.

6. loloraits55

Dec 21, 2012
    But can anyone confirm the sex?

7. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    I absolutely hate guessing gender on these guys and usually don't even try, but I'm sure seeing saddle feathers, which mean rooster. Unless, it's just their weird feathers hanging down from the bath, IDK.

8. SuburbSpurs

I'd say silkie partridge ameraucana cross. Roo. Thats my best guess.... thought the puffy cheeks could be D'Uccle.

9. lilliesanchicks

lilliesanchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 14, 2013
    silkie cross as silkies do have beards ,if it stays small the other parent could be just about any bantam.
    It does look like it has saddle feathers or is it just wet by its tail feathers?

10. fuzziecreatures

fuzziecreatures Chillin' With My Peeps

I say roo, but any pics of it dry?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by