My Khaki Campbell Has Gone Mad

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by mangled, Sep 17, 2010.

1. mangled

mangled Chillin' With My Peeps

I'm not sure what has caused her behavior, but she will not stop quacking. She was quacking when I let them out of the coop this morning around 6, and she's still quacking non-stop 3 hours later.

Any ideas? Everyone else is fine. The rest of the ducks are just following her around while she quacks.

Thanks-
    Em

2. kylee2katie

kylee2katie Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2010
    Stuttgart, Arkansas
    Is she moving her head back and forth to the side? how old is she? If you have drakes and she is "of age" this is probably the normal mating call. Mine started this at about 4 months of age and about a week or so later, my drakes caught on and the mating began!

3. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    It's funny, when I read your opening post "My Khaki Campbell has gone mad" my first thought was "Well, at least it was a short trip." If your Campbells are anything like mine then the slightest thing will set them off.
    "Oh my God! The wind is blowing! AHHHH! Run for cover!"
    "What is that thing coming over the hill? The sun?!?! Run and hide!"
    "Who are you and what are you doing? Feeding us?!?! You are evil! Scatter everyone!"
    Flightiest birds on the planet. And when they get a bee in their bonnet they can't just let it go. They go on and on and on... and on about it. It sounds like normal behavior from what I've seen. Females can be very vocal.

4. WestKnollAmy

WestKnollAmy The Crazy Chicken Lady Premium Member

Apr 22, 2008
    upstate SC
    My Khaki Campbells are quiet compared to my Runners and Rouen girls. Even my Magpie's are much more opininated but the breeding season of young girls does seem to cause a good bit of talking.
    I only have 2 Campbells now and one just has to fly over the fence every morning and go wandering off with the chickens leaving the other 22 ducks behind so I would know if I had a loud Campbell. I never know she is out there until I let the others out afer lunch and she comes running to the gate to meet them and spend the rest of the day in their company.

5. mangled

mangled Chillin' With My Peeps

She's still at it. We only have one drake and he's a Pekin. I've seen no mating behavior yet, they're about 4 months old.

Thanks-
    Em

6. chocolate m'scovy

chocolate m'scovy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 14, 2010
    It doesn't matter if the drake is a Pekin; ducks are not particularly picky when it comes to that. We've had a Pekin drake with Khaki girls and a Khaki drake with Pekin girl.

7. Mom 2em All

Mom 2em All Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2008
    Southeast Michigan
    Quote:[​IMG]

um, yep.
    Same thing happens here- only it is my male Runner that never ever ever stops doing that.

Whats that in your hands? AHHH!!Everyone run!

Are you looking at me? AHHHH!!!HIDE!!!!

Why aren't you looking at me? AHHHH!!Everyone RUN!

The bushes! The tree! The pond! AHHHH!! They are all in on it...whatever "it" is! Everyone run!!!!!!

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by