My Khaki Campbells Lay Eggs Only At Night

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by KatGold, Oct 12, 2012.

1. KatGold

KatGold Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2011
    Is that normal?

They are about 1.5 years old and I just bought them from a darling 13-year-old girl who raised too many birds (her parents put their collective foot down!)

On that note, this is dumb but, how can I tell the difference between a dark and a light KC?

I think I have one of each. One is the color of chocolate milk and one is the color of coffee beans. Clearly, one is darker and the other is lighter. I've read that light KCs lay more eggs. Is this slight difference in color indicative of different varieties of KCs?

(I told you it was a dumb question, but I don't know if there's more to it than that. On its face, it seems too simple.)

Thanks!

2. CelticOaksFarm

CelticOaksFarm Family owned, family run

Sep 7, 2009
    Florida - Space Coast
    post pictures. Although in our flock we have varied degrees of light and dark and it is normal to have such.

Your ducks are likely laying in the very early morning before you ever get outside to let them out for the day.

3. KatGold

Mar 15, 2011
    I have lost my camera. :-( They have been laying around 11pm or midnight!

4. CelticOaksFarm

Sep 7, 2009
    Florida - Space Coast
    11pm and midnight my ducks are locked up and not to be seen again until morning.

5. wildpeas

wildpeas Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2012
    Port Orchard, Wa
    I have one Khaki that is darker than the other two.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

She's not a lot darker but enough to easily tell her apart. As for the laying, I go out at dawn and let them out and they have already laid their eggs for the day. The eggs are also cold so they are doing it before the sun comes up.

[​IMG]

6. KatGold

Mar 15, 2011
    Wildpeas! That could be a picture of my two ducks. The exact same colors. Is that what is meant by light and dark Khaki Campbells, or is there a more drastic coloration.

I have had these ducks now for 5 days. They laid two eggs the first nights, one egg the next two nights, and zero eggs since then. I wonder what's up?

7. wildpeas

wildpeas Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2012
    Port Orchard, Wa
    I'm not sure if she is dark enough to be considered a dark Khaki, I think she is just a slightly darker standard khaki. It's just like one of my Rouens has a darker blue band than the other and one of my fawn and white Runners is slightly more fawn. Natural variations in color.

It took my ducks a little while to get into an egg laying routine. They really begin in fits and starts with the eggs. Now I get 7 eggs most days but some days I only get 6. Some are standard size and some are small and occasionally I will get one that is very oddly shaped.

8. CelticOaksFarm

Sep 7, 2009
    Florida - Space Coast
    its because they were recently moved. They will settle back into a routine and then lay pretty regular once again. As wild said they are khaki campbells, not darks, not lights just varied shading in the same duck.

lots of variation in this group shot, if you click on it to see it larger you will see the girls to the left are lighter than the girls to the right. Even the boys vary in color. Most of these boys are in the freezer now.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 14, 2012

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by