My Kids Ameraucana/EE's Boys or girls? UPDATE now they are grown

HBuehler

Songster
10 Years
Jun 30, 2009
Lebanon TN
I caved and we now have some EE's in our collection and eggs in the bator so I need a crash coarse in sexing these birds! I think I have a good idea of who is who but want more opinions
lol.png
Oh they are aprox. 6 weeks old
Sorry the pics are not better but these bird brains won't stay in one spot very long. The last one has a much longer neck than the others and no tail feathers at this time...he is missing some feathers on his wings but those are growing in since he has been here but no growth in the tail if they had been plucked out by friends so is it possible he's a rumpless?
chickens4001.jpg

chickens4004.jpg

chickens4005.jpg

chickens4006.jpg

chickens4002.jpg

Oh this poor chicken...Crook my kids drug home as a pullet.Figured even though it has no straight lines..tail is on at a 45 degree angle it would still have a pretty egg(never to be bred though) BUT it was "caught" with a pullet..has never said a word hen cackle or cock a doodle doo.Approx 16 weeks.Just need conformation before "dinner" oh he's hot in the picture as well.
chickens3005.jpg

UPDATE on last post

Last edited:
Thanks! So far your seeing what I am as well...the 4th-redish brown dude I'm thinking is the Rooster..my 4 year old said that's his Rooster and it's huge as well so I'm sticking with that as a him. As far as the big black guy he's dinner if no one wants to adopt him soon

It looks to me like all 5 of your babies are pullets - the '4th reddish brown dude' is no dude - she is definitely a female EE. Don't worry about the size - her coloring is all girl. I had a very large EE girl also and she now lays large eggs, while the other EEs lay smaller ones. Your 16 week old is a definite roo.

hu.gif
I know that redish one looks just like my 5 older big pullets same color same big size but that's my sons pick-several times I tried not to get it as we wanted a variety of colors but my 4 year old insisted that he was getting that Rooster so hopefully that will be a great egg laying "Dude" as he has been named.
gig.gif

The breeder said he was getting 60% roos this year so I'm thinking I picked real well. I was hoping for one more Rooster-we have a beautiful splash but if I keep all the gals I want another and Crook doesn't count.
Any thoughts on the one without a tail...it's getting lots of comments here like turkey bird. Honestly it's just plain ugly but interesting at the same time

Last edited:
Thought it would be fun to update these mostly Roos So many said pullets I wanted to re-post to show that indeed these are so hard to sex young don't make any hasty decisions on what you have. These are updated pictures in the same order.
chickens002-2.jpg
all pullet
chickens009.jpg
All Roo
roosters012.jpg

#4 This was taken 2 weeks ago the black chest is now wrapping around him and his body is getting blacker by the day with his red hackles and saddle feathers.Dominant Roo out there as well just like I was hoping
big_smile.png

roosters021.jpg

roosters006.jpg
He stayed pretty much tail free

Very interesting and very hard to tell on those EE's.
idunno.gif

So 4 out of the 5 were roo's???

I have 8 , 5week olds and guess I need to post pics and see what every one says.
wink.png

Last edited:
I agree. They are extremely hard to sex, and even after I caught mine with a hen, I was still half convinced he was just a dominate hen!
lol.png
It took another month or two for him to get his roo feathers and start crowing!

Beautiful birds!

Shelly

Thanks! Everyone goes straight to that bunch even though they now have lots of EE's running around here.
I'm sure 3 are roos 1 is a shim-a roo in denial..one of those slower to get there but you know it will but until then there is hope.
In our younger pasture one EE roo jumped out at 6 weeks wish they were all that easy.
I have learned one thing though NEVER let my son pick out chickens..in those we hatch or buy as chicks he always picks the rooster-has never picked a pullet.
barnie.gif
He loves Roosters and says "my rooster" and it turns out to be true.

Back
Top Bottom