My kids Bronze fair turkey... too hot, not eating

GJ_Kate

Songster
12 Years
Feb 27, 2011
Grand Junction
Any ideas on how to keep him eating? We have him and a buddy in a 6x8 dog kennel with a tarp over it. I put ACV in their water, higher protein feed, light on the feed at night... but now our days are getting 95-100 degrees. They just sit there in the shade, panting. Our garage isn't cooled, so I don't think it'll help. No other place has any more shade... not enough $$ to build a misting system.
Only thing I can think of is to put him in a dog crate and put him in my son's room. We don't have a basement or mudroom...

Help!! He still needs to gain a bunch of weight and the fair is July 20!!!
barnie.gif

Thanks!

Quote:
Are you able to put a fan out where he is? Would the garage be cooler with a fan plugged up and running? Well, July 20 is about a month away, how much trouble would it be for him to stay in your son's room? Would it be a headache? How much does he weigh now and how much weight does he need to gain? What are you feeding him? What % protein feed?

My turkeys like to stand in the kiddie pool to keep warm. I don't know if that is possible in your dog kennel. Do you have a large pan that you he can step in if he wants to. Place gallon jugs with frozen water in with him as a cooling system.

We have him on Gamebird 26%, but I've added Soy to it about 4-5 parts feed to 1 soy. The soy meal is 46%, I think.
Your idea about the fan in the garage is growing on me. I think that may work if I can wake DH up (works nights and he had a very long one last night) before he has to go back to work. He HATES having to do anything on work days though... don't blame him.
Right now the bronze weighs 8.8 lbs and the Bourbon Red weighs 6.6 lbs. They have to weigh 16 by July 20. I'm thinking there's no way... but maybe if I feed them beer too like the Kobe beef farmers do!
lol.png
Will a drunk turkey binge eat???

WOW! So, they need to gain 8 - 10 lbs roughly. Oh boy! Cake, ice cream, pizza and soda will do it for humans but I'm not sure what will add that much weight on for turkeys.
big_smile.png

Beef farmers give cows beer?????????????????
ep.gif

Wal-mart (as much as I don't like resorting to them) has a 6 sprayer misting hose kit for less than $10 slip on the clips screw in the mister heads then screw into a water source and done! I had to get one ASAP for my buns and it works great in fact I only have to keep it on for about 15 mins to get a full 20-25 minutes of water spraying just from the pressure in the hose and it's on low so not bad at all. Hope this helps and a fan also if that is an option. In a pinch we have also done the old rabbit trick of putting a frozen 2-3 liter bottle out in the run for our old BBW turkeys worked great but warning you may have to replace them often they like to peck holes in them. Good luck and keep posted on how they do.

GJKate....LomaTB here heehee Have you tried the black sunflower seeds? Get a fan on the big boy and it will help tremendously. Put a screen door on your kitchen garage door...heeheee

Did you get my email about the bronze pair?

Back
Top Bottom