My kids do nothing for my confidence.

Discussion in 'Family Life - Stories, Pictures & Updates' started by PotterWatch, Jan 8, 2011.

1. PotterWatch

PotterWatch My Patronus is a Chicken

Apr 22, 2008
    Virginia
    I am not a great cook. I don't belong on Worst Cooks in America or anything, but I'm not fantastic. I almost always use a recipe and even then, things don't always come out the way I think they should. I am getting better but still not near my Mom's caliber. She is the kind of person who can pick things out of the pantry and throw them together to create something delicious every time. Anyway, I started making dinner tonight and really didn't have anything in mind. I ended up making meatballs and noodles rather like swedish meatballs. I didn't use a recipe, just put together what I thought would work. I dished it up and tried it and I thought it was really good! I was patting myself on the back for making something yummy without relying on a recipe when my 8yo said "Mom, would you like my meatballs?" I asked him if he didn't like them and he very politely replied "They just aren't quite to my taste."

At least he was nice about it [​IMG] . I guess I will be having leftover meatballs for a couple days. At least I think they are good!

2. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    [​IMG]
    Well at least hes a polite young man..

3. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    They can eat anywhere. Manners must be learned at home, and it appears you are teaching them well! [​IMG]

(sorry about the meatballs- mine closely resemble the Superballs of the seventies......)

4. Tala

Tala Flock Mistress

Well, I hafta agree with ranchhand, and at least it's something YOU can eat so it's not wasted. Once or twice I've made something so bad the chickens had to eat it. I didn't hear any complaints from them though [​IMG]

5. Junkmanme

Junkmanme Chillin' With My Peeps

You're LUCKY !

My kids (and their friends) liked my homemade pizza.

It got so BAD that I was making 4 pizzas every time the Denver Broncos played football.
    (That gets expensive!).....fortunately, in those days the Broncos were winning...so I was recouping some of the cost with my bets on the Broncos...(not bets with the "kids").

This year I would have gone bankrupt!

-Junkmanme- [​IMG]

6. A.T. Hagan

A.T. Hagan Don't Panic

Aug 13, 2007
    North/Central Florida
    I wish MINE were so polite about it.

7. PotterWatch

PotterWatch My Patronus is a Chicken

Apr 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Pizza I can actually do because it mostly involves baking which I am great at. I can bake just about anything and have it turn out perfectly. Cooking just eludes me for the most part.

I was very happy that he was so polite and made sure to praise him for it. [​IMG]

8. Ms.FuzzyButts

Ms.FuzzyButts Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 5, 2009
    North Alabama
    Quote:Same here... I can bake like nobody's business. I can cook, but it isn't anything fancy! Simple is my motto. If I try anything with a long list of ingredients and steps, the dogs and chickens are happy...

9. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

Quote:Heather. Baking minus sweets, plus meats and veggies = COOKING.

10. WriterofWords

WriterofWords Has Fainting Chickens

Dec 25, 2007
    Chaparral, New Mexico
    Cook some spaghetti pasta, put sauce on them tomorrow, they'll never know they are the same meatballs. Just fish them out of the sauce they are in, I do it all the time!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by