My kids forgot to feed or young chickens

Parabola626

In the Brooder
Jun 29, 2021
We went on vacation for a week and our kids neglected to change the water and food out and we came home to one dead and the other barely hanging on. She is very weak and can hardly support her own weight and keeps closing her eyes but jerking herself back awake. I was able to get her to eat/drink a small amount from a syringe. What can I do? Or is it just too late to nurse her back?

:he
Sorry to hear. I would keep your bird in deep warm litter or nice soft towels, get in some sort of electrolytes and sugars, like a corn syrup in water to give some quick energy, carefully with a non-needled syringe if you have one, or a teaspoon if you don't. Scramble some egg or microwave in a bowl and stir, and cool enough to feed. Water is always key, then energy. You can slso make a watery gruel with the egg mixed in with the sugar water. You may know cotn syrup as Karo syrup as well, it is glucose and the body doesn't need to convert it before absorbing it for energy.

Last edited:
Do you have Nutridrecnh? That can be a life saver with chicks. If not, mix up an egg yolk, and try to syringe that making a little bubble on the end of the syringe, and place her beak in the bubble. Hopefully she will take it and improve.
I'm so sorry, this is such a sad situation. Hopefully your baby perks up and you can nurse her back to health.

Do you have Nutridrecnh? That can be a life saver with chicks. If not, mix up an egg yolk, and try to syringe that making a little bubble on the end of the syringe, and place her beak in the bubble. Hopefully she will take it and improve.
I'm so sorry, this is such a sad situation. Hopefully your baby perks up and you can nurse her back to health.
I don’t, but I can try the yolk. She’s really trying to stay alert so I’m hoping she can hang on. It’s breaking my heart.

I wouldn't wait if you have eggs and sugar or corn syrup at home, it might be at the tipping point akready where water and energy can make the difference.

Yes, any of those might help give the chick enough strength to eat more.

If she gets to the point of eating well and drinking well and digesting food properly, she will then be fine with normal chick starter and water (but will probably eat a lot more than usual for a while as she catches up.)

But if she can't get to the point of eating enough food, she won't be able to survive.

Back
Top Bottom