My king quail sitting on her eggs:)

Discussion in 'Quail' started by lisameow, Dec 5, 2016.

1. lisameow

lisameow Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2016
    Australia, QLD
    Here's a photo of my girl sitting on her nest! [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  2. DK newbie

DK newbie Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2015
    Oww, they look so cute when they do that. You might want to remove some eggs - I can see there are at least 3 she's not covering. If she can't cover all of them, they are likely to go cold and die one after another and you might get just a few or no chicks at all.

1 person likes this.
  3. cshma11

cshma11 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 2, 2016
    Illinois
    Are king quail different from button quail?

1 person likes this.
  4. lisameow

Jun 18, 2016
    Australia, QLD

5. lisameow

Jun 18, 2016
    Australia, QLD
    Nope:) they are both the same type of quail but they are called different things in different countries. In Australia, they are usually called King quails.

6. DK newbie

Apr 20, 2015
    I'd just toss them. You can try candling all of her eggs and toss the 3 you find least likely to have live chicks, if you think she'll tolerate it and not become so stressed that she stops being broody.

1 person likes this.
  7. lisameow

Jun 18, 2016
    Australia, QLD
    Hey I checked them all and only one was bad but it died when it was tiny. Like about the size of a of an index finger nail. All the others look healthy. I guess I'll pick some randomly to take out but I still feel really bad and I don't want to just throw them in the rubbish so whats the fastest and best way to kill them do you think?:(

8. DK newbie

Apr 20, 2015
    Well.. If you must kill them, the fastest way is probably to open the egg and cut their necks. If she hasn't been broody for more than 10 days or so, I doubt they're sufficiently developed to feel anything if you just toss them though. If she's been broody for more than that, I'd expect you to be able to find more than one egg that didn't develop properly. When you couldn't, maybe the surrounding temp is so high they somehow survive until the next time she covers them? Or maybe some of them are dead, but have grown so much you can't tell..

9. Binki

Binki Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2015
    Ontario, Canada
    I think maybe freezing them would work with little trauma to you and the eggs? Or you could try incubating them yourself :)

1 person likes this.
  10. cshma11

cshma11 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 2, 2016
    Illinois
    I agree - freezing seems like the least traumatic method to kill them before tossing, but if you have an incubator, you could put them in there!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by