my kitty hangin out around the coop

akyramoto

Songster
12 Years
Apr 10, 2007
Northern CA
I spent yesterday evening hanging out with my chickens. I was standing in the run looking at my little teenagers ( who @ this point are a little reluctant to leave the run) when i felt something touch my head.

it was my kitty GIR, who is still learning how to be nice to the chickens, she hasnt gotten one yet, but she gives them a good scare every once in awhile. so the whole time she was out there i was yelling @ her bout every 5 minutes, cuz i could see she was up to no good.

Image012.jpg

Image013.jpg

rolling around in dirt, chicken poo, and straw.
Image004.jpg

to put a stop to her torment keep a top on the cage. and dont let her in the pin. She is a predator and it is in her blood to want to eat them. Instinct can't be broke out of her by a human. But if you had A big mean Roo, he might.
big_smile.png

.......the thing she is laying on IS the top of the cage.

she's learning that they're not to be messed with, she didnt try anything while i was around. & during the day the chickens are in a covered run that she can't get into.

Last edited:
I know what you're going through. I have 6 cats and 4 of them (the boys) go outside everyday. I have a chicken yard that is covered completely and they still try to get in and "play" with the chicks. Silly cats!

I'd try feeding the cat and letting them hang out- Our cats (6 adults including a bengal) have yet to kill a chicken. We don't let them play with the peeps but from about 6 weeks on they're around each other in the yard, garden and woods. The cats love to stalk and chase the chickens but, lose interest when they stop, get trapped, tire out or deliver a peck between the ears... It doesn't take long for the birds to assert themselves- the Roosters first
lol.png
Then the game is on with ambushes, tail pulling and cat torment being the order of the day:)
It's not unusual to find at least one cat laid up on the roost in the heat of the day. They hunt mice & snakes. I believe they are a deterrant to hawks and owls and raise a commotion when oppossums and skunks venture inside the fence.

The cats seem to know the birds belong here and act accordingly. But then, they sleep in the dog house with a 60 pound labrador retriever when it's freezing outside.

guess we're just lucky-

Back
Top Bottom