1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

My Kraienkoppe Chickens

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by bandbaustin, Jul 8, 2011.

1. bandbaustin

bandbaustin Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2009
    Valparaiso, IN
    I got these two Kraienkoppes last week. The hen has already laid an egg for me and my understanding of the breed is that they are super broody. Anyone else have any. Sorry the pics are poor but it was dark in the barn and i used my cellphone.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Can't wait to get some chicks from these two.

2. stuckinthecity

stuckinthecity Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2009
    Beautiful chickens. I hope she goes broody for you!

3. chickenlover54

chickenlover54 Henely Hatchery

May 20, 2009
    Northern Illinois
    great lookin' chickens

4. bandbaustin

May 21, 2009
    Valparaiso, IN
    Thank you

5. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    I had a few Kraienkoppes a few years ago. I liked them best of any breed I've had. One went broody and was killed partway though setting on fertile eggs. Another took over the setting and hatched and mothered the chicks. She was also killed, and yet another raised the chicks for several weeks. They appeared to be sharing setting and mothering duties when i had them all. Later, one chose a very unsafe place to set on a huge pile of eggs; it was days before I found her.

They are supposed to be a very broody breed. They were also by far my friendliest chickens and were not disturbed at all when I handled them or the chicks.

I've bought chicks a few times since then from feed stores, and always check to see if they have any. Now that they all have a much safer place to live, I'd love to have some again. I envy you!

6. bandbaustin

May 21, 2009
    Valparaiso, IN
    I am really looking forward to working with them, bought then on craiglist. Bought to help with hatching oeafowl eggs but I am really starting to like them as well

7. grendel

grendel Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2010
    Walbridge ohio
    I also like the breed,as I have six four month old B&B reds.Not much info available on them anywhere.

8. phasianidae

phasianidae Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 9, 2010
    Those are some beautiful chickens. [​IMG]

9. MareeZoCool

MareeZoCool Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG] Beautiful chickens! I haven't heard of this breed before. Are they docile and friendly? Noisy?

10. bandbaustin

May 21, 2009
    Valparaiso, IN
    From what I have read they are extremely friendly. One guy I read had seven roosters in a flock with no problems. They don't seem too loud. We can walk up and pick them up with no probkens

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by