1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

My ladies are eating my plants!!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Rhodieredmama0004, May 16, 2011.

1. Rhodieredmama0004

Rhodieredmama0004 New Egg

Apr 22, 2009
    I used to have a ton of beautiful hostas in my back yard, now they are chicken feed! Can anyone suggest some perrenials that my ladies might not like to munch on?? I live in New England so the plans have to be able to withstand winters...
    Thanks!!

2. Dowie

Dowie Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2011
    Hmmm, I'd suggest Hellebores for your climate, but as it is a poison for humans I'm sure it's probably pretty bad for chookies too (that's something to remember - never plant foxgloves (digitalis) or rhubarb around where the chickens forage.

I hope you work something out.

3. bywaterdog

bywaterdog Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 29, 2008
    N.O.L.A.
    Plastic plants might withstand their chainsaw beaks for a short time, but eventually they too would be mauled beyond recognition.

A good rule of thumb to remember is " everything eats chickens and chickens eat everything."[​IMG]

Last edited: May 16, 2011
  4. discoveregg

discoveregg Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2011
    Northern Idaho
    Quote:So glad you posted this as I have hostas ready to plant and had no idea my chickens would eat them [​IMG]

You might try planting them in containers where the chickens can't get to them, that's my plan [​IMG]

5. ClaytonHowell

ClaytonHowell Out Of The Brooder

May 16, 2011
    Martinsville, Indiana
    An electric fence is about all you can do. It would be unsightly if it is say your back porch. It will only deter them until they figure out a way around it or better food elsewhere.

6. WoodlandWoman

WoodlandWoman Overrun With Chickens

May 8, 2007
    Wisconsin
    Hostas seem to be their favorite decorative plant. A lot of chickens eat hosta. What saved mine is that I planted a huge amount of rainbow chard. Mine like that even better! They like a lot of dark leafy greens and I grow a lot of things for them to forage on. They usually leave my decorative plants alone. I've been lucky and they've even been leaving the hosta alone the last few years, now. You could probably plant anything BUT hosta and be successful.

7. NYRIR

NYRIR Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2010
    Petersburg,NY
    The only plant mine don't destroy are wild geraniums.They dine on Hosta like it's a gourmet salad bar [​IMG] Hence...we fenced.

8. greenSearcher

greenSearcher Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 22, 2010
    Texoma
    Old fashioned Holly Hocks. Bought a package last year and one grew, they didn't devour it, and this year it is about 3 ft high with flowers. Will get more next year, it is already too hot for bareroot plants in TX. They also didn't eat the passion flower or the Calla Lilly. I planted new Calla Lillies yesterday and they pruned them, so I put black netting over the plants. They seem to be good about not eating toxic plants provided there are sacrificial plants available. They also haven't eaten a couple of Sage Plants, but I think that they need too dry a soil for your area.They also haven't devoured the mint, but I have one girl that likes to stand and stomp in it, I think she likes the smell. Plants that are behind fences as they get devoured: Comphrey, Maj Wheeler honeysuckle, any Asian lily, Phlox, any red flowered plant, Penstimmion and of course any garden vegetable.i have lots of fencing - bird netting and chicken wire for shrubs and flowers and 6 ft chainlink surrounds the veg garden. It isn't bad enough that I try to garden in the Texas oven, but I have 40+ chickens to do bug patrol so I don't lose everything to grasshoppers. Even weeds don't have a chance if they don't have stickers.Only goats would be worse.

9. hipeatall

hipeatall Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2009
    My chickens made a mess of my gardens and flower beds... even if they didn't eat it they would dig in it and make a huge mess. Fencing (and for a few, wing clipping) was our solution...
    Good luck and sorry about your hostas! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by