My ladies are spening their first night outdoors!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by aim0474, Sep 27, 2016.

1. aim0474

aim0474 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 23, 2016
    Denver
    We are having a warm week with nights in the 50's so I feel it is a good time to get them sleeping outdoors. They are 6 weeks but the little one is just now getting her big girl feathers. I blocked off access to the run and they are huddled in a corner on the coop floor. Going to have to show them where to sleep tonight I think. They havnt really been good at roosting in the brooder, nor are they interested in treats (cucumber today). They are going to need a crash course in being chickens! LOL

Of course I am nervous. I finalized all the racoon proof locks, triple checked everything and I know it is ready. I also know they will be fine. Sigh.

2. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    At 6 weeks they will be fine and dandy! They will huddle and be toasty.

3. aim0474

Aug 23, 2016
    Denver
    I know. And I love that they have been so well taken care of that they made it this far. I am hoping their chicken instincts kick in soon though. :)

4. aim0474

Aug 23, 2016
    Denver
    I put them in the coop and they turned around and walked down the ramp back outside. To keep them in there I had to put a solar light on the outside of the door so they could see the light through the little window. I guess that happens when they are used to being under a heat lamp.

5. chickens really

chickens really Chicken Obsessed

Do not be overly concerned about them roosting just yet...6 weeks is still young and they will take a couple of weeks to get into a regular routine in the coop...They will cuddle at bed time and hop on the roost during the day...

I hope the first night was a success!

Cheers!

6. aim0474

Aug 23, 2016
    Denver
    I went out to check on them this morning and had 3 bright eyed and bushy tailed hens chirping at me. :)

7. chickens really

chickens really Chicken Obsessed

Congrats! Now they are well on their way to being big girls!

Cheers!

8. ChickenMomma14

ChickenMomma14 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 23, 2016
    Riverside, California
    Ah I remember when my baby had there first night out I was so anxious to go get on them. Now my baby's are 6-8months old and sitting on the roosting bar at night... they grow up so fast

9. aim0474

Aug 23, 2016
    Denver
    Night 2 and I had to show them where to sleep again. Silly birds.

10. chickengeorgeto

chickengeorgeto Overrun With Chickens

Dec 25, 2012
    That is why I like to raise small amounts of chickens under the mother hen. She will usually have them roosting by 5 weeks old.

Even then sometimes you will have to go out after dark and personally set the chicks on the perch.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by