My Ladies layed two days in a row then....

The Jersey Chickens

Hatching
8 Years
Aug 4, 2011
Hello,

I have RIR and Reich's (SP) reds 8 of each for a total of 16 Ladies! They are all 20 weeks old, born on the same day. On WEdnesday I got the big surprize I was waiting for...2 eggs!! One a lighter brown then the other. Thursday evening I got two more. Friday...nothing and so far this moring..nothing. Is this normal? When can I expect to see a egg a day and how far out do you think the others are behind the first two? Thansk for the feedback and your time.

Tim:D

Very. Normal we got one egg from 5 birds all born at the same time, and no egg the next day, then another. There young and it has to work it's self out. It takes time to be regular. Chickens are not even in full production until around 35 weeks I read this morning.

Last edited:
welcome-byc.gif
i am going through the same ,,, You read on here that they laid on thursday and lay everday since then for 4 years....not common ...I have 14 at least 2 or 3 are laying because I 3 eggs in 24 hours but it has been 4 days and only 1 tiny egg...they will get regular it better I am going to drive myself crazy looking...

Last edited:
Thanks for the help...got two more this evening. I just cant figure out what two they are....I agree...I'm driving myself crazy looking and my three kids want to go look evey hour!! Its fun. I cant gripe a bit!
big_smile.png

I heard that no matter what breed, you should really just expect 4-5 eggs a week from 1 bird, then if they give you more you are happy not dissapointed! LOL! But really, they will take a day or two off, mine do, I have 5 that are laying right now, I usually average 3 a day but occationally get 5. Today got 5!!!

I got another egg today, a very dark one and such a wonderful thick shell ! She laid 2 days ago and today, I can not wait for another egg! We had hers for dinner tonight. 4 more chickens to get eggs from I hope soon. Winter comes early here and by 4:30 in the afternoon it's dark already. I got a 40 watt bulb today to put in the coop to make up for the light loss, i will keep the light going through the winter and let them molt in the spring.

Back
Top Bottom