my ladies new coop

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by lowerowe, Dec 2, 2008.

1. lowerowe

lowerowe Out Of The Brooder

Nov 8, 2008
    melbourne, australia
    i thought i would share my girls new coop.
    cost me a bit under $300 aus in materials but considering what you get in the way of coops for $300. we have an unused area in the side of the house so i thought i would close it of and convert it into a run. i raised the coop and put a rope door onto it to open door in the morning without going into the coop. food and water is hung under coop away from rain. they love it under the coop making dust baths and lounging around.
    the only addition i have made is a movable shelter with more food. the isa's and the australorps don't get along so it is easier to have two food containers. we had a fox get in the other night and he got trapped. he got in through the roof! i have put more chicken wire there to stop that. it was horrible to find it out there at 2 in the morning. the wife and i went out and had to open the door to get it out! anyhow here are the photos. please any idea's or coments would be great. be critical and frank!
    [​IMG]
    this is looking towards door (and our back door)
    [​IMG]
    this is from back looking to front
    [​IMG]
    looking towards the back of the coop and the new movable shelter
    p.s the free range in our backyard as well

2. Ms. Lewis Rich

Ms. Lewis Rich Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 18, 2007
    Wow, that looks so safe!
    And close to you so you can enjoy.
    Good job.

3. WoodlandWoman

WoodlandWoman Overrun With Chickens

May 8, 2007
    Wisconsin
    I think that looks great!

4. KrisRose

KrisRose Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2007
    Davison, MI.
    I think it looks nice. My only concern is- what part of the house does that window look into?? You can get a real nice "chicken aroma" in your house if you don't have a manure management program going [​IMG].
    Glad the fox did'nt get any of your ladies. I would have wet me drawers if I found a pred in the run!!!!

5. lowerowe

Nov 8, 2008
    melbourne, australia
    bathroom window, don't worry i cover up when i'm nude!
    i think i nearly DID wet my drawers;). my wife looked after her hubby though.
    i feel so masculine!

coop is raked out daily

6. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Looks good! One tip: dont use chickenwire, use hardware cloth. A fox can chew right through chickenwire.

7. lowerowe

Nov 8, 2008
    melbourne, australia
    already used chicken wire on roof, but steel mesh on front door.
    seemed to work so far?
    of coarse front half of roof has shade cloth and chicken wire

Last edited: Dec 2, 2008
  8. digitS'

digitS' Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 12, 2007
    ID/WA border
    This may be a place to say this [​IMG]:

The Australorps are a good choice. At the moment, I've got 2 but I've had more and over many years.

Thank you Australia [​IMG]!

Steve

9. FrontPorchIndiana

FrontPorchIndiana Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2008
    Indiana
    That is a great use of that awkward space between the house and the fence so many people have. Great example!

10. lowerowe

Nov 8, 2008
    melbourne, australia
    works great, we didn't use the space at all. problem is though, when we need to change the hot water unit! the plumber will have fun.

your right as well the australorps are great, though they are not laying yet!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by