My ladies stopped laying :-(

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by PekinMama4, Nov 30, 2016.

1. PekinMama4

PekinMama4 New Egg

Nov 30, 2016
    My 4 Pekins live down at our pond during the spring, summer and fall months (about 10 acres away from our house). Its geeting much colder here in WI and have moved my Pekin ducks to their pen by the house for the winter and since the move my ladies havent laid one egg wheras before they laid daily.

Anyone know or have any experience that could tell me if they'll start laying again?

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    [​IMG] You don't mention age, but it is not unusual for them to take a break regardless of age. Shortened day length is a factor as is the move (poultry hate change), and age may be a factor. They will resume egg laying in the early spring.

3. ChkenKeeper

ChkenKeeper Just Hatched

Aug 19, 2016
    Tracy, California
    Well it is most likely due to your moving them from their recent place of living.
    You can have perfectly good laying hens in one place, move them elsewhere and they will stop egg production because they are not used to the moved surroundings. Perfectly normal for chickens, it kind of frightens them and so they turn off egg production. Time in the new surroundings is the only remedy unfortunately. It is kind of like you are starting off with a new set of chickens and they need time to adapt to the new surroundings.

4. mymilliefleur

mymilliefleur Keeper of the Flock

Nov 4, 2014
    East Tennessee.
    It's pretty common for birds to stop laying for a week or two prior to being moved, so that is probably the problem. Are you sure they are not hiding their eggs some where in the pen? If it just got cold suddenly then they may have decided to take some time off. Also, could something be finding and eating their eggs?
    My guess is that they will start up again soon once they settle in. Or they may wait a month or two until the daylight starts to increase.
    Good luck with your girls and welcome to BYC!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by