My Ladies, will they lay???

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Lovesilkty21, Jan 14, 2010.

1. Lovesilkty21

Lovesilkty21 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2009
    Chandler
    These are our Ladies, they are about 22week 1 day, and no eggs yet. We are in AZ if that means anything for laying.
    Do they look close, the one cookie I think is the closest and still nothing
    Is there something to feed them to get them started laying, my husband I think is thinking I’m more and more crazy with every passing day that there still isn’t any eggs.
    They have started making a lot more noise lately to, my hubby thinks it just weird.
    I just read about having a light to make it like more day light, the sun I think comes up about 6:30 right now and goes down about 7, so is that not enough?
    I love them all so much and am so excited for eggs, but my husband is making me wonder
    Cookie (weighing in at 5.2 or so lbs.)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Vanilla (weighing in at 5 lbs)
    [​IMG]
    Pumpkin (4.6lbs) (Pumpkin & Sugar behind her)
    [​IMG]
    Sugar (3.6lbs) (with Cookie in picture)
    [​IMG]
    Coco(3.6lbs also, she was the runt of our flock)(in the center)
    [​IMG]
    Our 2 baby’s Sprinkles & Frosting (only 10 week)
    [​IMG]
    Just another picture
    [​IMG]

Any idea’s???
    Thanks so much

Last edited: Jan 14, 2010
  2. Uzuri

Uzuri Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2009
    22 weeks is young yet [​IMG] They may lay any day or they may wait. I suspect that my Javas (31 wks) may not yet be laying.

The noise might be a good sign, though, could be the egg song. Do they squat for you?

3. RM44

RM44 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 15, 2009
    Woodstock, Georgia
    Do you have them on layer food yet? I agree with previous poster though, that 22 weeks is still early. Get them on layer food (has lots of calcium) and make sure they are healthy happy, well rested and plenty of food and water. Other than that, just sit back and wait for the action!

eta:

Be careful not to give the 10 week olds layer food though. No calcium until they are at least 16 weeks old! I killed a 2 month old pullet giving layer food too early. Bad for the kidneys!

4. Lovesilkty21

Lovesilkty21 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2009
    Chandler
    The bigger one Cookie when I go to catch her now the last few times she kind of squats/ sits down or something. Is that a sign of her wanting a boy, I hadn’t thought about that but she has done that where as the other just run, and don’t want to be picked up.
    So they really do that have an egg song or is it more labor pains like a women screaming, do you think the first egg hurts alot to be laid and thats why they make noise or do they do it every time even after the first?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by