My lady didn't go in her coop come dark???

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by stephanie munson, Dec 10, 2011.

1. stephanie munson

stephanie munson Out Of The Brooder

Oct 9, 2011
    I live in SW Washington and the last weeks has been COLD at night in the 20's, so I have provided my ladies with a light for extra warmth and winter laying.Last night I found my light Brahma fluffed up just laying /sitting in the run, I put her in the coop and she came back out sooo I put her back and turned off the light,she stayed.Tonight I find my buff orpington doing the same thing? It's well below freezing so I'm glad I found her.I know this might sound funny but would it have something to do with the full moon? it was bright out( not as bright as in the coop) however tonight not so much and the light is off in the coop.

Any thoughts?.............

2. CheerioLounge

CheerioLounge Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2011
    California High Desert
    All of my girls prefer to roost in the run. They only use their coop to lay. It has been mid 20s overnight here and they act like they're in Hawaii!

3. threecutechicks

threecutechicks Out Of The Brooder

May 20, 2011
    Camano Island, WA
    I am in the Puget sound area too. My girls never go into their hen house either. they roost out in the run, so that is where I put their heat lamp, I use the red heat lamps so it does not affect their laying. I also put the water near the lamp too so it would not freeze. If their run is secure from the local preditors, they should be fine if you put the heat lamp out there with them.[​IMG]

4. colonel sander

colonel sander Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2011
    Vancouver, WA
    I also am in WA and do not use any heat or any extra lights right now. My 3 hens have still been laying on a regular basis. Mine go in every night like clockwork with no issues. As for the cold well I do not think it gets that cold for them as they do have a down coat on.

So as for your question I am not sure why she would not go in the coop at night. It might be the light as they are used to heading in when it gets dark. I also have read where people suplement light in the morning hours and not the evening. Good luck with the problem and hope you get it figured out.

5. pintail39

pintail39 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 28, 2011
    Hi,
    A couple of my girls will do this on occasion, in my case, I think it is one of the hens that went in the house first is keeping the other hen out. One of my girls will "tattle" if she is not let in the house, I'll hear her out there, go pick her up pet her, then put her in through the other door. I hear her in the house clucking as if to say " Mom said it was ok for me to come in, told you so"

good luck

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by