my lakenvanders entire body is swollen!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by th_roster, Sep 29, 2010.

1. th_roster

th_roster Out Of The Brooder

Nov 22, 2009
    wirtz, VA
    I have a 7 month old lakenvander rooster. Today when I went out to put the chickens up for the night. I noticed that there was someting very wrong with the rooster "wallie". I picked him up to get a closer inspection of him, his entire body was swollen and he felt like he had been filled up with air. He was very squssy to the touch. I have know idea what is worng! he is still getting around ok. and is still mating with the hens. The air pocket seems to be right under the skin. He is eating ,not alot but, he is eating. Please help!!!!!

2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    I have no idea but hoping someone will come on who can help you sorry

3. mypicklebird

mypicklebird Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2008
    Sonoma Co, CA
    He had some sort of trauma to his body, and one or more of his air sacs have ruptured (they have lungs and air sacs inside them). The air will leak out under the skin- they feel like bubble wrap. If the leak seals, the air will go down very gradually. If you want to speed the process for his comfort- bring him to a vet and they will drain it. Or you can search for descriptions of what to do on line. Subcutaneous emphysema is the medical term for it....
    You need to examine him very closely- and look for wounds- there may be bruising, or there may be an actual puncture or laceration you need to take care of.

4. th_roster

th_roster Out Of The Brooder

Nov 22, 2009
    wirtz, VA
    I have an apointment with a vet. I will post more when I know more.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by