My Landlord is a jerk!!

FunkyPizza Inc.

Hatching
8 Years
Feb 25, 2011
He's a slum landlord! For years we put up with it but this is just too much!!
he.gif

Our rent here is $400 a month which is really low arround here and because of that our landlord seems to believe he's exempt from making any kind of repair at the house. When the hotwater heater needed to be replaced, when the septic tank needed to be drained, ect. every time we would hear this " well you would be paying alot more living somewhere else..."

Every time we could'nt afford to move so we made the repair ourselves, stupidly!! This time the septic tank needs to be replaced and the responce I was getting from him is "Iam not sure what I"ll do about it yet." Which is just his way of saying I just going to drag my feet and see if you do it. NO WAY, NOT GOING TO HAPPEN!! I respect and admire the Fresno police and this guy is giving them a bad name, he is a former officer so he knows this is illegal. He also has other properties he is renting out so I know they are going through the same thing we are.

So now we are moving which means I have to find a house that is both in our price range and would allow me to keep my flock, which just might not happen. I am also still looking for a job and am hoping beyond all hope that I can find one soon so we have more options. We live in the country and I want to stay in the country!

I know I don't post much and have pretty much been a lurker but I hope everyone will send their well wishes, we really need them. I'am going to do whatever I have to in order to keep my babies.

I wish you all the best for finding somewhere else to live, and a job too
smile.png

Sounds like your'e going through a pretty tough time, but hopefully that should get better!

GET OUT OF THERE FAST! When you do -report him for being illegal and I hope you saved all your reciepts just in case! good luck!

Hi; I hope you find a better place. It is really hard to find affordable housing in California, especially in the country. Good luck with your job pursuit, try to keep a positivie attitude. Hopefully you can keep your flock, if not, ask around at the feed stores (post signs, etc.) Some really nice people would adopt them I'm sure. Maybe even someone on this site can help you. Who's to say you can't start a "foster program" for chickens? They do it all the time for dogs and cats.

hugs.gif

welcome-byc.gif
"officially"

welcome-byc.gif

Here and maybe there, we have a housing authority department run by the county. They may be able to help you through the "renters rights" area. I know here they enforce that a landlord must make repairs to keep a property in working order ie: water heater, septic, electrical and all plumbing. This is true regardless of what the rent rate is.

I hope it helps.

You should be able to find it in the white pages or by calling the county.

Here is to hoping you can get through this with the flock intact.
fl.gif

Thank you everyone! The thought of giving them up makes me want to break down crying but I do know someone who would take them if I have no other choice. We did save the reciepts, I just have to dig for them.
I will look into contacting the housing authority here in Fresno, but from what I have heard they are slow to act so they likely wont do any before we have to move. There is already a hole filled with stinking water in the back.

My flock can't free range like they used to, my head roo gives me heck every time I step out the door and the stink eyes are starting hurt.
sad.png

I had a landlord that did not repair things. Our furnace had a gas leak. The gas company actually shut off the gas and refused to turn it back on until it was fixed. I paid for the repair, saved the receipt and sent a copy to the landlord. In the letter with it I told him I was going to deduct that amount from our rent the next month. I then opened a bank account with the exact same amount of money that I was deducting ($275). I called it an escrow account when I opened it. That way, if he took me to court over the rent being less, I had proof that 1) he was notified the repair was needed, 2) the repair was made and paid for by me, 3) he was notified we were deducting the amount from the following month's rent (hence 30 days notice), and 4) the escrow account proved we were NOT simply shorting him the money. ** I made copies of EVERYTHING.

He never did take us to court, and we ended up moving away from that home and bought our own house. I actually took the money I put in the escrow account out and used it as part of our down payment!

Not sure what your state laws are, but renters do have rights. Do an internet search to find out what the exact requirements are where you live. Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom