My Last hatch SUCKED! big time....new hatch due soon

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Chickbait, Mar 26, 2009.

1. Chickbait

Chickbait Out Of The Brooder

Mar 12, 2009
    Here is the story on my last hatch

20 eggs good at day 18

I used the genesis 1588 with auto egg turner for 18 days. The temp was great (calibrated my hygrometers/thermometers). The humidity was stable at 55 the whole 18 days (I followed the directions) I figured everyone raves about the genesis so go with it.

Day 18 I moved the eggs into a hovabator 1602 N (no fan) temperature was holding well and I got the humidity up to 65-70 ish.

Eggs were upright in cartons.

Only one chick hatched on schedule, 4 others pipped, one zipped half way and died and the rest nothing. I candled 24 hrs later- the remaining chicks were dead in the shells. The ones that pipped made no progress, I helped a little they died later. I opened up the remaining shells, a couple must have died day 19-20, there was a lot of fluid inside these. Other ones were fully formed, never broke into the air cell, I think these drowned, also a lot of fluid. The other 8 or so were very dry inside, the membranes were quite dry and sticky and they had not broke the air cell either. It is confusing to have both very wet and also very dry interiors of the eggs...

2. CityClucks

CityClucks The Center of a 50 Mile Radius

Jan 31, 2009
    Tulsa, OK
    So when is your next hatch due? Are you modifying anything for this one?

3. OCchickens

OCchickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2008
    Brea, California
    Have you read the article on dry incubation, in the learning center? Might give you some ideas.

4. KatyTheChickenLady

KatyTheChickenLady Bird of A Different Feather

Dec 20, 2008
    Boise, Idaho
    Forgive a question from a newbie. Why did you take them out of the Genesis? I just put my first batch in mine today so I know nothing, but I thought I understood that they could stay in there until hatch?

5. TriciaHowe

TriciaHowe Mother Hen

Nov 11, 2008
    Trenton, FL
    Honestly I think your humidity was too high. I never go above 60% if I can help it. To much humidity can give you sticky chicks that die while pipped/zipping.
    Good luck with this hatch [​IMG]

6. Chickbait

Mar 12, 2009
    I want to use the genesis for incubation only to keep it clean, use my other one to hatch as it gets quite messy.
    Quote:

7. Chickbait

Mar 12, 2009
    I would have thought that too, since some were very moist and others were very dry I found it strange that it seemed too high for some and too low for others. They were different eggs, so maybe they needed something more special.
    Quote:

8. Chickbait

Mar 12, 2009
    Yes I am going to follow the instructions that came with both my bators and see what that produces.
    Quote:

9. Chickbait

Mar 12, 2009
    I will check it out thank you!
    Quote:

10. 77horses

77horses ◊The Spontaneous Pullet!◊

Aug 19, 2008
    [CONFIDENTIAL]
    I'm guessing that the chicks drowned in the shell when they pipped. Your humidity was waaay too high at 65-70%

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by