My last Mystery Chick

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Mandymooligan, Sep 21, 2011.

1. Mandymooligan

Mandymooligan Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2011
    Chino Valley, AZ
    She came in a Rainbow Feathers Pullet Assortment from Myers Hatchery. She is 9 weeks old and my last Mystery Chick. Does anyone know what she could be? I was thinking Buckeye or Barnvelder?

[​IMG]

2. TinyChickenLady

TinyChickenLady Chillin' With My Peeps

From looking at other pics, I'd go with barnvelder IMO

3. jadeybaby70

jadeybaby70 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 10, 2009
    Alameda
    I don't think she is a barnie. They have lacing on their feathers. I don't have personal experience with buckeyes but that might be the better guess.

4. Mandymooligan

Mar 18, 2011
    Chino Valley, AZ
    I just saw a photo of Buckeye chicks and she did not look like them when she was a hatchling, she has always been very dark. Back to the drawing board.

5. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    That's not a Barnevelder.

She looks like a Partridge Rock, as for Buckeye - How's her comb? Is it a sawtooth edge or is it just slightly bumpy? It looks like a pea comb from here, which means a Buckeye, but you're the final judge.

6. Mandymooligan

Mar 18, 2011
    Chino Valley, AZ
    She has a small blackish single comb. She has always been a big heavy chick.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2011
  7. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Possibly is a Barnie then, or likely a Partridge Rock, I'd say wait til she matures a little more. The barred appearance happens with any partridge, duckwing, or double laced pullet or even cockerel.

8. warmfuzzies

warmfuzzies Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2009
    Boondocks, Colorado
    Looks like a partridge rock. But like they said, the partridge coloring can happen with several breeds. The leg color looks right for a rock though, to me anyway. [​IMG]

9. Schwartzfarmnc

Schwartzfarmnc Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2010
    West Jefferson
    I don't believe it is a Partridge Rock, comb is wrong color, here is a pic of mine a little younger than yours but you can see her coloring and comb color. I do think along with the others a barnie or buckeye.

[​IMG]

10. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Comb color has nothing to do with breed, it's just extra pigment.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by