My last shot at this - pretty much sure by now!

ASD Dad

Chirping
Mar 15, 2018
Upstate, SC
So I have posted these same birds 3 times now and only once has there been a 100% agreement on cockerel vs. pullet. I am 99% sure I know each one now but I wanted to get some experts opinions. Several of these were 50/50 just 2 weeks ago but they sure have changed in that time!

Our biggest issue is we paid a lot extra from a local breeder who pretty much promised pullets. Out of the 6 birds we bought I am pretty sure 3-5 are boys! Not happy about it at all as that leaves us with just two egg layers and a lot of wasted money and time. She already took back one bird (that is why there are only 4 birds in photos) that was a definite cockerel but it was a big pain and borderline ugly so if any of these are cockerels they will be re-homed or culled. Cant have 2 hens and 3 roos!

Pretty sure there are 3 cockerels and 2 pullets in these photos. The only boy we wanted in the first place is the Cochin to the left of first photo. Hopefully he is definitely a boy (he is crowing a lot). I have a feeling that one other could be a cockerel though (meaning all 4 in that first photo)... If we seriously end up with 4 boys and 1 girl it's going to get really ugly at the lady's farm this weekend... We're sticking with the small local farm supply store from now on.

IMG_2439.JPG
IMG_2440.JPG
IMG_2441.JPG

IMG_2443.JPG
IMG_2445.JPG
IMG_2447.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_2443.JPG
    IMG_2443.JPG
    166.6 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_2443.JPG
    IMG_2443.JPG
    166.6 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:
Only cockerels I'm seeing is the barred cochin and the gold laced Wyandotte.

That last black Australorp isnt a cockerel? I swear it crows now and then and is getting very aggressive. It attacked my father in law and drew blood on his calf the other day when he was dropping off some frozen watermelon for them to eat. It also goes after my dogs on the other side of the fence.

That last black Australorp isnt a cockerel? I swear it crows now and then and is getting very aggressive. It attacked my father in law and drew blood on his calf the other day when he was dropping off some frozen watermelon for them to eat. It also goes after my dogs on the other side of the fence.

Agree with above... and yes, the blue is a pullet
Saddle Feathers.jpg

That sounds like a cockerel but to me it doesn't show anything that would make me say for sure cockerel as of right now.
How old are they?

How old are they? That black one is the one that is not certain. With that bright red comb and wattles and the size of them, plus the general shape of the head/neck, I think cockerel. With the skinny legs, round saddle and hackle feathers, and the shape of the tail, it looks female. I've heard of hen feathered males but never seen one. Maybe I have now.

Back
Top Bottom