My lav keet isn't growing well

Discussion in 'Guinea Fowl' started by melroseladi, Sep 14, 2011.

1. melroseladi

melroseladi Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2011
    Melrose, Florida
    It is eating and drinking well. I have it on vitamins and giving it boiled egg yolks. No pasty butt. I have a box lid in the brooder for their food so I know she is not getting pushed away from a feeder. There are 4 keets in the brooder. The last one to hatch has now passed the lav up in size.

Any suggestions?

2. PeepsCA

PeepsCA Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2011
    Big Oak Valley, CA
    Sounds like another runt [​IMG] Only suggestions I have are electrolytes and maybe some ground/crushed up dried meal worms mixed in with the egg yolk twice a day, just to make sure it is getting a good enough boost in protein. Hopefully this one stays healthy and makes it, and even catches up. It may always be a runt tho..

3. Shayna

Shayna I [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG]

Aug 2, 2011
    Midwest
    I wouldn't worry too much. I had two runts, and one grew up to be just as big as the others. I can't even tell which one it was now. The other runt in a younger group is still noticeably smaller but keeping up. I just made sure they got enough food.

4. melroseladi

melroseladi Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2011
    Melrose, Florida
    Thanks Peeps. After loosing the last runt I am really concerned about this one. She seems perfectly normal other then the failure to grow, just like the other one.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by