My lavender silkie x black rosecomb youngsters

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by silkieluver_07, Dec 6, 2008.

1. silkieluver_07

silkieluver_07 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2008
    Pennsylvania
    I just wanted to post pictures of a little project I'm working on. I hope to achieve to have "miniature silkies".

I used my lavender silkie roo, Grape, to breed my Black Rosecomb hen, Brianna. The chicks were hatched on August 18, 2008. I'm pretty sure I have two roosters and three pullets. Here's some pictures. Enjoy! [​IMG]

Grape, lavender silkie roo:
    [​IMG]

Brianna, black rosecomb hen:
    [​IMG]

A young lav x black pullet:
    [​IMG]

I like the crest on this girl:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The two boys:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Some questions:

Which roo should I keep? I'm only allowed to keep one. Since I'm working on miniature silkies, I was thinking to keep the top one, he has a darker mulberry comb.

2. Old Rando

Old Rando Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 5, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    If this were my project I think I would keep the top young rooster also. More of a silkie-like face.

Old Rando

3. BamaChicken

BamaChicken Orpingtons Bama Style

Nov 14, 2007
    I was glad to see these as I am working on a Project adding a cochin into my mottled project and looks like the feathered foot must be recessive. Yippie

4. silkieluver_07

Jan 31, 2008
    Pennsylvania
    My lavender roo doesn't have much feather footing to begin with, so that might have a part in it. I've noticed that the chicks have Brianna's tail, and the skin color of Grape (except the one boy) They seem to have a walnut comb also.

5. LilPeeps

LilPeeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2007
    SE Mass
    Definately keep the cockerel in the top pic. Interesting project [​IMG]

6. wclawrence

wclawrence Chillin' With My Peeps

It depends on exactly what you are trying to achieve. If you want to get more silkies, in lavender, then you should probably get rid of both those roosters and breed your pullets back to the lavender rooster. Because the silkie feathering AND lavender are both recessive, so if you bred them back to him only 1 out of 4 will have both.

but like i said before, it depends on what your objective is.

7. silkieluver_07

Jan 31, 2008
    Pennsylvania
    Quote:I was going to keep the boy and the lavender rooster together in the breeding pen to see what I get.

8. ksacres

ksacres At Your Service

Nov 16, 2007
    San Antonio TX
    Quote:Feathered legs are dominant. If you start with a bird with good leg feathering, you will definitely see it in your F1.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by