My Lawn Looks Amazing !!!

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by suburban farm girl, May 15, 2009.

1. suburban farm girl

suburban farm girl Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 16, 2007
    SF Bay Area
    It's been waaaay too long since I jumped on the forum, and I thought this was a fun share to get me back in the game.

After mowing our lawn today I stood back and admired how lush and green it was. It's never looked better. I know our chickens are the reason. We haven't used any fertilizers (chemical or otherwise) on the lawn since we got our girls last June. Our 10 ladies have free range of the backyard for most of the day. Besides giving me almost NOTHING to weed this year - I live in California and spring here starts in January or February (I've been wondering if my time formerly spent weeding should be given a dollar value and deducted from the cost of their feed? There are significant benefits to chicken owning besides the fresh eggs. [​IMG] ) Anyway, they also are on the lawn a lot and dropping their droppings onto the grass. A lot of it I'll pooper scoop up and put in with the compost, and some of it gets left behind and obviously works magic on the grass.

Anyone else with similar experiences?

2. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

My lawn is an acre of mustard weeds, Joshua trees and cacti. Welcome to the desert!!

3. Cetawin

Cetawin Chicken Beader

Mar 20, 2008
    NW Kentucky
    Yep yep. I have grass now that was not here last August. If chicken poo can grow weeds on a rock, it will work for the grass fertilizer.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by