My Leghorn has not laid for 4 or 5 days.

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by crosbygroup, Sep 15, 2010.

1. crosbygroup

crosbygroup Chillin' With My Peeps

My White Leghorn Shirley is 10 months old. She has been laying 6 or 7 eggs a week, but none in 4 or 5 days now. She looked a little pale for the first couple of days, on the 3rd and 4th days she was still pale and was closing her eyes and resting a lot. She would run over to food and then walk away with out eating. Today she looks better (less pale) and she ate some grated cheese and rice. Any idea what might be wrong with her?

She gets organic lay pellets, oyster shell always available, healthy treats once a day (rice, cheese, kale, leftovers, etc.) and she free ranges on grass with the other 3 girls most of the day.

2. sheaviance1

sheaviance1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2010
    Tennessee
    Is it possible that she had a sour crop and it worked itself out?

3. crosbygroup

I'm not sure. I tried to feel and see if her crop was any different from the others. It did not seem larger or harder and there was not a bad smell. I'm new to chickens so I'm not sure. I'm still worried that she is not laying.

4. sheaviance1

Apr 7, 2010
    Tennessee
    Could she be molting?

5. crosbygroup

No feathers laying around and she still looks nice.

6. sheaviance1

Apr 7, 2010
    Tennessee
    I am new to raising chickens. I looked in my book (Storey's Guide to Raising Chickens). There are so many reasons why a chicken will stop laying, molting being the biggest reason. Stress, dehydration, illness, heat, recent change in their habitat and the list goes on.

7. crosbygroup

Thanks for the help. I'm starting to think it is stress of some sort. She is eating and running around like a normal chicken again, but still no eggs. [​IMG]
    I'll let you know how it turns out.

8. FRlEDeggs

FRlEDeggs Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2010
    Internal laying?

9. crosbygroup

Quote:Do you think it might be that? She was always the most regular egg layer in the bunch - now over a week and no eggs.

10. FRlEDeggs

FRlEDeggs Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2010
    Quote:Do you think it might be that? She was always the most regular egg layer in the bunch - now over a week and no eggs.

Maybe, I'm not sure... [​IMG]
    Look it up and find the symptoms

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by