My leghorn is laying soft shelled eggs? Moulting!

Cynthia12

Always Grateful
Premium Feather Member
14 Years
Apr 11, 2010
Utah
Could the moult cause this? She has been moulting a good month now. How long do they moult? I have heard that moulting can cause the soft shelled eggs. I was lucky I guess, because up until yesterday, she was laying normal shelled eggs. Today, she looks more naked than ever! I am thinking soft shelled eggs because of moult. Now, how long?
Pictures of the egg..looks good inside! Yesterday didn't see it, thought I had a pullet ready to lay, then I was actually outside and watched her lay this egg! Now, she always goes to the nest box, always! I thought what? Out here? Then when I saw the egg half way out, lol..I could tell. I wonder if they can't tell if it's an egg or not because it's so soft. She laid the one yesterday on the coop floor.

Anyone else see soft shelled eggs in their birds moulting? She eats plenty of oyster shell. I know that I have been lucky to get an egg from her, because most chickens stop while moulting. But, she is a leghorn. A very sweet leghorn. Miss Piggy. :))

I had to open it!!
big_smile.png

Looks like a good eating egg. When I found the one yesterday, as I was entering the
coop, her and another laying hen left the coop..ummm..yep..

I'd try and up her protein a little, sometimes they're just off on their laying cycle though and that can cause it. The big concern is them getting egg bound, or the egg rupturing inside and causing infection. Some use catfood, I like calf manna, fish chow or scrambled eggs

I'd try and up her protein a little, sometimes they're just off on their laying cycle though and that can cause it. The big concern is them getting egg bound, or the egg rupturing inside and causing infection. Some use catfood, I like calf manna, fish chow or scrambled eggs

Thanks for the reply. Have tried scrambled eggs, I will look into the others. I'm glad for the reminder of the egg rupturing possibility! Will watch for that for sure.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom