My leghorn pullet wont lay eggs.

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Junglefowlboss, Jan 3, 2017.

1. Junglefowlboss

Junglefowlboss Out Of The Brooder

Jun 8, 2016
    Mableton,GA
    My leghorn is 31 weeks old. I got her May 25. They say shes supposed to lay around 16 or 17 weeks but i get nothing from her.[​IMG]

2. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    She really doesn't look mature enough to lay quite yet. Her comb ins't developed enough and she looks small-ish.

If you're positive on her age, you may just have a slow maturing hen. It happens from time to time. She may pick up as the days lengthen, or she may just not be a good layer. No real way to tell at this point, you'll either have to wait it out or cull her.

3. Junglefowlboss

Jun 8, 2016
    Mableton,GA
    I dont want to cull her because she is the last surviving leghorn chick out of four and it would be really sad if I was the one the to finish them off.[​IMG] Ill wait another month and then Ill decide what to do with her. Thanks

Last edited: Jan 3, 2017
  4. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    I feel your pain. Leghorns are supposed to be wonderful layers, and to be getting nothing......

What happened to the others? If you had illness, that could sure have set her back production-wise.

5. Junglefowlboss

Jun 8, 2016
    Mableton,GA
    A hawk got to them one day and lost three. There was a small opening in the coop I was keeping them in. [​IMG] I lost some other chicks too.

6. junebuggena

junebuggena Chicken Obsessed

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    What are you feeding?

7. Junglefowlboss

Jun 8, 2016
    Mableton,GA
    I feed them cracked corn and any fruits pr veggies that we dont eat. The rest pf the hens are doing fine amd laying good.

8. junebuggena

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    Well that would explain why you aren't getting eggs. Growing birds need a complete, balanced feed for proper growth and development.

9. Junglefowlboss

Jun 8, 2016
    Mableton,GA
    Hmm ok. What do you recommend.

10. junebuggena

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    Unmedicated chick starter to help her get caught up to where she should be. Cracked corn is seriously lacking many essential nutrients and protein that chickens need. It's not a complete feed, it's an occasional treat.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by