1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

My Leghorn Roo vs. My Leghorn Hen **updated pics**

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by BellLisamo, Feb 9, 2009.

1. BellLisamo

BellLisamo Diagnosed w/ Muscovitis

Feb 7, 2009
    Tombstone, AZ
    I just picked up some free roosters from a lady who had one too many. She said they were both roosters. Well, come next morning we had an egg! So i checked the two and yes one is a hen. Unfortunately her back is all torn up from the rooster. He is aggressive thats for sure. I'm gonna do the alpha role and hang him upside down. He actually charges. Silly little brat. My question, is how long til the hen get her feathers back? She's basically bald from the rooster. I seperated her from him, and will probably end up getting rid of the mean rooster. Any other suggestions? Any reason to keep my leghorn rooster if i have 2 other roosters?

heres a pic of her back......

[​IMG]

the owner who had her obviously thought this didn't bother the poor girl. how cruel. any suggestions on what to put on her back to help her heal???

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 9, 2009
  2. the1much

the1much Currently Birdless Hippy

MOST leghorn roo's have a attitude, but they are the BEST protectors of the flock,, ive had many roo's,, MANY,, and my leghorn is the best at his job. he will even back out full grown men out of his pen,, except for me,, but me and him have had a "talk" bout that lol,,.
    that said,, if you dont need him, then eat or rehome,, but no matter what roo you have, with that few hens, then they'll always be bald,, and it takes them about 2 months to get feathers back there,, unless their really torn up, then it could take a few.

3. BellLisamo

Feb 7, 2009
    Tombstone, AZ
    Quote:thanks for the advice. i updated the picture of her poor back

4. Acre of Blessings

Acre of Blessings Canning/Sewing Addict

Apr 3, 2008
    Axton, VA
    I have had a W. Leghorn roo and my advice is to get rid of Pen #2. Either eat him or give him to someone who will eat him. Mainly, if you have small kids or grand kids or even neighbor kids, you really don't need this trouble filled roo. It will cost you if you keep him.

ETA::: There is no blood showing in the pic so I would advise maybe covering it will a gause pad really good with some ointment on it or just keep her isolated from all the other chickens for the next 2 to 3 weeks. If you let her out and expose her to the others there is a chance that the wound could be pecked far worse than what you already have.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2009
  5. BellLisamo

Feb 7, 2009
    Tombstone, AZ
    Quote:Thats what im thinking. I dont wanna deal with a nasty one, and hes upsetting my friendly rooster hippy, the pens are close together but not attached. ANYONE IN AZ WANT A ROOSTER???

6. jossanne

jossanne Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2008
    Gila, New Mexico
    I'd look into chicken saddles for her. It would protect her from everyone until she's feathered back in. Poor girlie!

And what they said! Get rid of him, you don't need him around.

7. the1much

the1much Currently Birdless Hippy

your gonna have this same problem with 99% of roo's.. NO MATTER what breed, no matter how sweet they are,,,, they are ROO'S and their SUPPOSE to be this way. i have very small kids,, but i KNOW that a roo is nothing more then like others try to tell,,, there just a bull,, there a bull , would ya let ya kids in a field with a bull in it? noppers,, cause we all know what bulls do,,,,, well roo's are just a small bull, with a VERY important job.
    my kids go into the pen ONLY when im, there, and when my roo's see my kids, they RUN to the opposite corner,, even my leghorn! why??????? cause they've been taught to. to tell people to automatically eat a roo just cause he charged them,, is jus "simple",, should we eat the puppies the first time they growl? or do we teach them not to?

the bare back on ya hen is a normal thing to happen, its from the roo trying to hang on when he mates,, and it will only get worse until he has more hens to mate with,, until then, you need a chicken saddle,, just a piece of cloth that goes on their backs to heep the roo from breaking her feathers,, if you do a search for chicken saddles, i bet theres hundreds of threads about them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by