My leghorns are hardcore

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by superchemicalgirl, Dec 10, 2010.

1. superchemicalgirl

superchemicalgirl HEN PECKED

Jan 10, 2010
    Vacationland, Maine
    I thought leghorns were generally a bad idea for cold weather - generally small chickens with large combs.

I bought some anyway.

It's started getting light late and dark early. Each morning now when I open the coop before work it's pretty dark out. My leghorns are the first to jump off the roost and come outside. Each and every morning. They love to peck around in the dark.

This morning it was 1 degree out. One.

I opened up the pop door (it was still dark) and out come my leghorns. They didn't even hesitate. No one else wanted to come outside.

Go leghorns!

2. HoosierChickenMan

HoosierChickenMan Out Of The Brooder

May 7, 2009
    Mine do the exact same thing, first ones out the door, they race to see who can get out there first! lol It is so funny!

3. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Sounds like spunky leghorns!

I think "cold hardy" was historically geared more to areas like Michigan or Idaho, where coastal waters prevent -20 weather with -80 windchill. 1 sounds pretty good!

4. LadyWoodsong

LadyWoodsong Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2010
    Midwest
    Wow, that *is* impressive. I have 12 Black Stars and they're wimps! I live on the northern plains and currently we're in a blizzard warning and it's supposed to get down to -12 tomorrow night. Yikes! [​IMG]

5. superchemicalgirl

superchemicalgirl HEN PECKED

Jan 10, 2010
    Vacationland, Maine
    Quote:Don't worry... it's early yet. I'll be begging for 1 in a month.

6. theron

theron Theron's Fowl Farm

Nov 15, 2009
    Midland, MI
    even though it doesn't get real cold here in MI, its still cold enough for us. [​IMG]

7. featherz

featherz Veggie Chick

Mar 22, 2010
    Saratoga County, NY
    My leghorns beat down the coop pop door each day when I open it and it was 2F yesterday. One laid an egg that weighed in at 100gm! They are all girls, all with the big floppy combs and so far they look ok. I don't know if I'll be saying that when it gets into minus temps, but they are in a coop with four big fat production red chickens so maybe that will help. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 11, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by